beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Does anybody else use an UNI air filter, I can't get mine to seal at the base on my 89. I've greased the hell out of the base, it just won't stick! The filter is almost brand new (used for about 15 minutes). As soon as I tighten the "wing" bolt, the center caves in letting the sides to pop up.

For a temporary fix, I made 2 alum. bars that go under the center bolt, this presses the sides down onto where it should be. :debil:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Does the Uni use the stock filter holder/cage?

Sounds like something must be broke if it does...

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 213

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Nice pic there wibby. All I get is a black hole (is that where you threw your old filter?)

I don't 'see' how, even with an overlarge filter, that tightening the wingbolt against a good cage will cause the lip to 'pop out'.

Besides...that's not a place that grease is supposed to 'stick' anything.

Something else is wrong.

Come to think of it, I had a uni filter once. I didn't like the foam composition. Didn't like the way it fit, either. I don't use it.

If you 'just' bought it, howabout 'just' take it back? ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Very interesting...... I can see it, maybe It's a Mac thing?

It is an air filter schematic from buykawasaki.com, I had to modify it with Photo Shop, 'cuz DRN said it was too large.

Anyway I was just trying to make sure beefking was using the cage, 'cuz I could see it collapsing if it was not used ;)

Lets try it again

Attachments

• airfilter.jpg
    airfilter.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 176

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Ahhhh that's it....I don't have the cage. :think:

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever had one with the bike, unless I just forgot to put it back in one of the cleanings. Thanks for the help guys!!! :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No cage?

You have been actually operating the bike with no cage? The filter then has been supported only with the wingbolt thru the center of no support?

Honestly, not throwing mud here...but you are just yanking our collective chain.....right?

With no cage, air filtration is iffy at best!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If you have been operating without a proper seal between the filter and the airbox you MUST take a look at your piston to see if it is scored. You can do this by removing the carburetor and looking into the cylinder. Slowly engage the kickstarter to get a view of the entire piston. If it is scored, time for a top end. You don’t want your piston or rings coming apart.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
RV6:
Time to take notes! ;)

Beefking has been through all that...just recently!

...and I think it was the '89...right?

Piston failure...oversized bore..replate..case split...blew it up again...

I didn't want to say it...but the piston failure in the first place...and this 'no cage' in the second place, well, I do wonder if those are related.

Man. This could be awful!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Third time is the charm!!! Live and learn (the hard way).

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
No chain yanking here, I haven't been using the cage (never had one?!).

And you're gonna think I'm yanking your chain again...but I've been using a stock airfilter for a DRZ400! I got the bike for free, missing an air filter so I threw in a spare one I had laying around. Believe it or not, it fits pretty good and with some marine grease on the base, it seals up decent. I checked it to make sure by lightly greasing the inside of the intake boot (between carb and airbox) and even after pretty dusty rides, the grease came off clean with a white rag.

And remember, I have the "cross bars" that press down on the filter for now, so I haven't ridden without a decent seal.

I don't think the lack of a cage had anything to do with the seizing, there were no scores on the bore except for the transfused alum. from the piston, and that was more of a scuff.

And as an update on the failed piston, its still doing great! I didn't buy new rings or nuthin after the seizure. All I did was file down rough spots on the piston, and used some 240 grit on it. I added some cross-hatch back to the bore (25 degrees to the cylinder, before you ask) with 240 agian, and sanded down especially where the plating flaked to prevent any "snagging" of the rings.

I pulled the cylinder again today, still looks relatively the same. No grooves on the bore, ring end gap is good. I've got about 10-12 hours on it since the siezure, plus about 4 hours before that. :laugh:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The 'crosshair' setup isn't doing the job of the cage. As I understand it, anyway, your 'crosshairs' are better than nothing, but still the only force against the base of the filter comes from the sides of the filter pressing on it.

That's still not much of a seal.

Get a cage.

re: believe it or not......

The RM filter is supposed to be about the same size. The twinair filter cover (used for sealing the carb when washing out the airbox) is what they sent me for the kdx. It misses the base by a fraction of an inch, so is inherently useless for its intended purpose, but the diameter and heighth are close to the same.

So, I believe that just fine.

But...please do get a cage!!

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I have seen No-Toil mentioned several time and had it recommended to me by a DRN'er. Can you buy it on-line? Anyone have a link? I checked their website and all the have is the name of a bunch of distributors.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Say...the cage goes on the INside of the filter, right?

;)

Thanks for being a good sport, bk. You kinda' got ribbed on this one!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom