hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Has anyone else seen this??? Is there any info out there other than this blurb on MXA.com

unannounced, but in discussion, plans to make every AMA Supercross rider race a 250 four-stroke (yes, you read that right, the AMA brain trust wants both the super stars and the 125 East/West riders to race 250F’s—and eliminate 450s)

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/M...0&tier=3&nid=589225E848FC40A2B8E2693189130C74

I can't believe this but I do trust the source. Any of you guys have additional info to help prove or discredit this???

I'm in disbelief on this one... first 2-strokes now the primary SX class.... sheeeeesh!!!!

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I wonder if this is because the big bikes seem to be going faster and fast and we have seen some pretty violent crashes this year. I like that part of it, but not sure I like anything else about the idea.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As long as it is only in discussion, they still have time to realize that it's a pretty stupid idea. Of course, if they figure out just how absurd it is, they will do it.
It would negate the diferent classes, but there are several guys out there on the 250F's that are turning better lap times than a large portion on the 450's. I wouldn't be surprised if Villiopoto could run top 10 against the big bores on his little 250.

And if they want to slow down the bikes, they should change the way the tracks are designed. Shorter straights, tighter turns, etc.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I heard they were all going to ride electric bikes to cut down on the noise and smoke.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
hellbertos said:
I can't believe this but I do trust the source.

That's a mistake.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
FruDaddy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Villiopoto could run top 10 against the big bores on his little 250.

I'd bet you he finished on the podium most of the races.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
They are not changing anything.....

The AMA Pros will still race 450cc bikes in the "A" class.....

There is no way they would make guys who weigh 180-200lbs ride a 250cc 4-stroke. A guy like Tyler Evans would be stuck at the gate. Even Kevin Windham and Travis Preston are both around 180-pounds. And I've not seen any official weight on Pastrana but after seeing him in person last year I know he's over 180. Millsaps is a big kid, so is Hepler.... you would be officially killing the careers of these guys with something as stupid as that idea...........

The 150-pound guys might not notice, but the bigger guys would never stand a chance.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
funkypunk97 said:
They are not changing anything.....

The AMA Pros will still race 450cc bikes in the "A" class.....

There is no way they would make guys who weigh 180-200lbs ride a 250cc 4-stroke. A guy like Tyler Evans would be stuck at the gate. Even Kevin Windham and Travis Preston are both around 180-pounds. And I've not seen any official weight on Pastrana but after seeing him in person last year I know he's over 180. Millsaps is a big kid, so is Hepler.... you would be officially killing the careers of these guys with something as stupid as that idea...........

The 150-pound guys might not notice, but the bigger guys would never stand a chance.

THE AMA needs you.................someone who actually thinks before making rule changes.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Personally I think it would be a great move. I've found AMA SX and MX getting very boring to watch as the 450s have showed up and gotten faster and faster. The Lites class is now FAR more fun to watch then the main classes, sure most people I know don't even bother downloading the main classes any more! The 450f is just too much bike for most guys these days.
I'd love to see RC and Bubba on 250fs or 250s even. Bring back the fun wild style, it was what motocross was all about. The 450 is going the way of the 500 two stroke, too much power for most people to ride.

Sounds like a great idea by the AMA to mix things up a bit and try to put some of the fun back into watching the main classes...

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I think it would be funny as h3ll if the AMA ruled the 450F's obsolete. Then just maybe some of the 2-stroke haters (I'm speaking about the guys I ride with, not yall) would see it's not so much about the bike as it is the rules.

Micah

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Zenith said:
The 450 is going the way of the 500 two stroke, too much power for most people to ride.
only too much power for GIRLY MAN LOSERS!!!
hansfranz.jpg

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Zenith said:
Personally I think it would be a great move. I've found AMA SX and MX getting very boring to watch as the 450s have showed up and gotten faster and faster. The Lites class is now FAR more fun to watch then the main classes, sure most people I know don't even bother downloading the main classes any more! The 450f is just too much bike for most guys these days.
I'd love to see RC and Bubba on 250fs or 250s even. Bring back the fun wild style, it was what motocross was all about. The 450 is going the way of the 500 two stroke, too much power for most people to ride.

Sounds like a great idea by the AMA to mix things up a bit and try to put some of the fun back into watching the main classes...

I tend to agree to the extent that the 450s might be showing signs of the old 500 2Ts. Great as well as versatile bikes and, sure, alot of guys can ride them at middle of the pack speeds (and a TON of guys can fire road/trail ride 'em), but only RC and Bubba (and to a lesser extent Reed and Windham) seem to really be able to wring the things out.

It does remind me a lot of the old Bailey/Glover Open Class battles of the 80s. Those guys were freagin' insanity on 'roids ripping down a straight on those 500s. Even though there were a few capable riders in the field taking 3rd and 4th; they were getting SMOKED!! It was obvious that, back then anyways, there were two guys that could take those machines to their limit... and look what happened to that class; and bike.

As far as the classes go, I don't know about putting everyone together, but I wouldn't mind a shake up. Maybe just bring back 250 2T for the premiere class and 250F's for the East/West series. I mean, if they throw em' all in together, the same guys are gonna win whether 450, 250, 250F (though I think a few of the top 250F riders would probably do well); AND that is regardless of weight(OK, maybe the really heavy guys will be at a disadvantage, but if Milsaps is so heavy, how did he win East SX 250F's this year?? Anyone remember 180lb Ronnie Lechien PUNISH the 125 class in 85?)

If they do go through w/ it, it will really put a hurt on privateers and younger guys trying to break in. Take a look at Jimmy's column in this months Dirt Rider. It takes a look at the effect of the 250F's on racing... its not pretty. Those motors are VERY expensive to build and no where near as durable as the 450s which is forcing younger/less experienced/financially disadvantaged guys into the 450 class, just to give 'em a shot.

Imagine also, all the factory boys in one class... doesn't leave a lot of room for any privateers or local pros... better believe I'll be rooting for Nick Wey if that happens cuz he'll be the only "privateer" out there; and he is a FAR cry from the local hot shoe who sleeps in his truck after driving 2 days to the races...

I feel like the AMA unwittingly screwed up and they should take some steps to fix it.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom