KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I plan to buy new boots and was interested in getting either the Tech 6 or 8 boots. However, I have heard that these boots are not as durable as they use to be and don't hold up. :think:

I would appreciate any feedback regarding these boots or recommendation for other boot brands.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I like the tech 8s. Wash the liners every once and a while and hose out the boots. I've had mine for a year and seem to be holding up pretty well.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
First, this should be in the "Product Reviews & Qs" forum. Also, if you do a search for "boot" in that forum, you will find a thread specifically on Tech 6 vs 8; I know because I've recently crawled through that stuff myself.

Everything I have read indicates that:
- both are outstanding boots.
- Tech8 is the benchmark by which all other boots are judged.
- those who have only have used the Tech6 love them, but...
- those who have used BOTH prefer the Tech8 and think they are worth the extra money, even for weekend trail riding.

In my research, I read of some injuries sustained in the Tech6, and even one injury while wearing the Sidi Force Flex, but I didn't read of any injuries while wearing the Tech8s.

With that said, I recently ordered my first set of Tech8s only to be extremely disappointed when I couldn't get the size 11 boot on my size 10.5 feet. The bootie inside the Tech8 was the problem. So, if you decide to go with the Tech8, remember the bootie and plan your size accordingly, especially if you use thick MX socks.

I sent the Tech8s back and ordered the Gaerne SG-10 instead...they should arrive any day now and I can't wait to try them! :)

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
I have about 10-15 rides on my tech-6's, and the soles are completely destroyed. Stock pegs, 01 kx500. The forefoot has chunked away and the replaceable section has held up better than the part of the sole that it mounts to.
I realize that there are thousands of satisfied customers, but Alpinestars has been a complete waste of money in my case.
I will post pictures if requested.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
michigan said:
I have about 10-15 rides on my tech-6's, and the soles are completely destroyed. Stock pegs, 01 kx500. The forefoot has chunked away and the replaceable section has held up better than the part of the sole that it mounts to.
I realize that there are thousands of satisfied customers, but Alpinestars has been a complete waste of money in my case.
I will post pictures if requested.

I would be interested in seeing the pics.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I've been wearing my 8's for going opn two yeaar on a KDX and a KX500 and other than externally dirty they are holding up great. Comortable, had to get used to shifting with them but once all was adjusted no problems.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My Tech8's have held up well for the past 2 seasons.. I ride just about every weekend..

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Michigan, try the Vectors from Alpinestars. The sole is much more durable than the Tech-8's. And you said that your sole was worn on the forefoot? Where the rear brake is, or shifter? I ask because my buddy Brian wears his out right where the rear brake is, lowered the lever just a little and problem solved. I guess he was dragging his foot across it and/or landing with his foot on the rear brake lever all the time. Just a thought.

KDX200kev, have you seen the new Tech-10's? They look really nice, as for durability, I have no clue. Hope they are as good as they look, as soon as I find a pair to try on, I'm in!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've had a couple of pairs of 6's. They didn't hold up too well.

My 8's are doing much better. My feet keep dry, anyway. More than I can say for the 6's.

Alpinestar supposedly will 'refurb' a set of 8's for something like $85. Although, by riding buddy sent in a pair for that purpose and they sent them back saying they couldn't fix 'em. That was a classic sole/upper degradation situation. Maybe the uppers were too goobered.....

That booty in the 8's is pretty slick. A very comfortable boot once you get them broken in....which takes awhile. Wear them around the house, mow the lawn with 'em, walk down to the corner store a few times.

Well....the 'corner store' around here is about four miles away. You might not want to be walking that far.........

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
KDX200Kev said:
I plan to buy new boots and was interested in getting either the Tech 6 or 8 boots. However, I have heard that these boots are not as durable as they use to be and don't hold up. :think:

I would appreciate any feedback regarding these boots or recommendation for other boot brands.

I'm about as new to dirtbikes and dirtbike accessories as they come, but many people told me not to skimp on two pieces of riding gear, the helmet and the boots and so I didn't and I ended up getting the Tech 8's even before I took delivery on the KDX...

I fence and I cycle and both of those activities can be hard on the feet (fencing for the footwork, cycling for the endurance) and my feet are always needing some rest after either... I thought that dirtbiking would be the same because of the amount of time spent standing and the general abuse your feet can often take on track and trail...

I was stunned that after 7 full hours of having the boots on, my feet felt absolutely great! no soreness anywhere, no pressure points no friction, no pinching, no abrasion... it was truly a wonderful surprise since I was expecting the opposite.

I wear 10.5 and got the 11's (didn't remove any of the gel packs or special pads in the booty either... it was like the things were made for me custom! My feet aren't particularly narrow or wide, and I've never had troubles with standard shoe size, so i'm guessing my feet are average in their width, but I do have arch problems and apparently the boots have good support in that area too because I had no arch discomfort whatsoever in the Tech 8's...

As stupid as it might sound... In many ways they felt more comfortable on my feet than my tennis shoes! And there was no hint of that "Ahhh! glad to get those off!" feeling when I took them off after 7 hours straight... I just took them off...

Granted, I have NO experience with any other riding boots... but why should I need to now? I don't know about durability, but they seem extremely well constructed to me and there was no hint of chunking or wear in the peg area after my day riding... Heck, these boots work so well that even if they wore out at the end of each year I would buy another set just because they are so good to your feet! (by evidence and toverwhelming testimony the concensus is that they last many seasons)

I mean... Would you rather have a set of boots that lasted 10 years, you couldn't wait to take off, caused all kinds of foot problems, and did not provide as much safety margin for your feet and ankles? or a set that lasted only a fraction as long, but made your feet feel like you could run a marathon after having them on all day and saved you from busted ankles repeatedly?

I can just see someone cruising around on crutches for 12 weeks followed by months of PT but the whole time saying "but I saved 50 bucks on my boots!" :)

Have a good one!

Feanor

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
[
have you seen the new Tech-10's? They look really nice, as for durability, I have no clue. Hope they are as good as they look, as soon as I find a pair to try on, I'm in![/QUOTE]
Yeah, but who wants to pay $450 bucks for a pair of boots? :think:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
My Tech 8s usually last me about 3 years of hard riding before needing some repair work to the soles. The biggest boo boo I gave them was from kick starting my bike where the boot hits the peg - this is often mistaken for damage from the brake lever. I changed from the IMS Pro pegs, which are sharp as razors, to the Fastway Lowboy pegs and now my boot misses the peg when kicking.

Overall I love these boots and will probably get the new 10s just because they are shiney and new, not because my 8s are worn out.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've had both, 8s and 6s. I actually prefer the 6. The 8s felt too bulky and clumsy for me. I like the feel and fit of the 6 better. As far as protection goes, I hope I'll never find out.
CC is right though, the 8s keep you feet dry, the 6s seem to leak quite a bit more.

Top Bottom