CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The soap residue curls the bootie and stiffens them.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Otherwise the leather will dry out and crack.
Three years on one pair, no damage to the leather yet ... maybe I'm just lucky?

I always take the bootie out and wash it with low pressure hose/soap, let them dry outside the boot.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well I just got a new (used) pair of Tech 8's yesterday. They fit nice and I can't wait to go riding with them.

I am replacing a 2 1/2 year old pair of Fox Formas. The past few months I have had a little ankle "jolting" and thought that maybe it was time for new boots. Other than the ankle thing - I really liked the Formas. They have a built in bootie, were very comfortable, and the soles appear a stronger material than Tech 8's. They had plastic buckles but they never gave me problems - always stayed closed.

The main differences I have noticed between the two boots is that the Tech 8's feels/looks bulkier in the ankle area - but there also appears to be more padding/support in the ankle area. Hopefully this will help my ankles out. The Tech 8 buckles are nice. The Tech 8 straps are easier to adjust but maybe a few are too easy. The Tech 8 interior is very comfortable in the calf area, too. Flexibility appears similar to the Formas. I can't wait to give them a try :)

mnbaja

Dec 20, 2000
I got a pair of tech 8 boots last fall and I used them three times when I noticed that the fake carbon fiber looking material under the lower buckle was tearing. I had my dealer send them in and Alpinestars just sowed an ugly piece of black plastic fake leather looking material over the top of it and said that was good enough. I was not impressed. They are the most comfortable and have the best support of any other boot I have tried though.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Hi Guys-
Just thought I would give a little feedback on these boots.

Im really loving them now, they are broken in, and without doubt very comfy. The most noticeable difference for me has been the arch support, and ankle comfort. They fit like a glove, and I havent felt the need to take out the gel inserts yet. Very glad I jumped on these boots. They are like night and day from my Oneal M700's.

azcab

May 6, 2001
I've got 4 1/2 years on my Tech 8's and they have held up great. Had the soles replaced 4 months ago by Sole performance in Calif. They put on Sidi soles (more durable that Alpinestars) for $80.00 (includes shipping, labor, soles, toe plates) and they did a grat job- I don't think most shoe/boot shops do a very good job and I've had soles on two other sets of boots come off. Sole Performance has done thousands of MX boots. I've hammered these boots and probably ridden in them 120 times, busted three buckles (the base part), which Alpinestars replaced free of charge every time, and I love them. They've taken some major abuse off-road from logs, rocks, etc... I bought another pair of the new style 18 months ago for the MX track and paid $200 for both sets new from a dealer. Shop around and you can find some deals- got my second set new from a dealer on ebay.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Up until 4 weeks ago I really loved my Tech 8's (6 months old) but now I'm nursing a badly broken ankle that has taken 3 screws to join back together! :( I'm now really nervous about using them again.

I've got another 4 weeks till I'll be walking and probably a as long again till I can ride, so I've got some time to think about it. I'm really wondering if I should just go and get some of the new Sidi boots with the big ankle braces???

The Tech 8's didn't save my ankle, but would any boot have?? I'll never know, but I'm positive I'll do whatever it takes not to go through this again (obviously short of giving up riding)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Hey Max-
How did you break your ankle? Did your foot get stuck somewhere?

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Wayno,

Not exactly sure how it broke. I came over the crest of a hill in the scrub pretty hard, it dropped away, much to my suprise, extremely steeply. It was rutted right out with rocks and roots. I think as I jumped HARD on the breaks I hit a rock / root / rut and it flicked me sideways. I assume my foot hit the dirt on the downhill side and acted like a pole vault because I was intsantaneously flicked off the bike and proceeded to cartwheel down the hill.

I knew instantly that my ankle had snapped, plenty of pain. X-ray showed the junction of the tibia was clean spapped and required 2 x 2.5" screws to re-join. The "ball" of my ankle on the outside was cracked and ligaments torn so I've got a pin right through the fibula, ankle joint and into the tiba to brace it all whilst it heals. The pin comes out in 3 weeks.

Just for good measure my tibia was also broken 1/3 way up my leg and my scaphoid (wrist) broken as well.

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I rinse the outside of my WHITE tech-8's off with water and then use a scrub brush with Soft Scrub w/Bleach(inexpensive) then rinse them off again and hand dry them - they come out looking almost like new. For the inside booty, I just wash them by hand with soap and water just like I do for goggles, gloves, and helmet liner, etc.... Of course you probably want to do all this as soon as possible so the dirt doesn't have time to set in and stain. The washing machine idea sounds good, but I don't really want to chance ruining alot of $$$ in gear.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom