Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
I have a pair of 03' Tech 6's and its time for a new soles. I was reading online that you should get them installed by a professional, but i dont really want to do that. Right now i got my held in by Rubber Cement and only got 1 ride on it, so i dont know how its holdin up. Is there something special that the professions use to stick the soles in, what do i need to do it by myself?

Oct 10, 2004
Take your boots to a place that puts soles on. They are sewn on properly . if you have a really good top of the line sewing machine then by all means try it yourself, but seeing as you have good boots i wouldnt want to screw them up

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
contact alpinestars via there web site. you can order new soles from them, and if you want you can send them your boots and they will put them on for you. the cost is about $70 IIRC for the soles and labor for them to put them on. But Alpinestars will have the most current pricing.

Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
the soles on mine arent sewn on, there are 2 screws towards the back of them and then its some kind of glue holding them on, does anyone know what it is?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
There are several layers of soles on the boots.

The first at the bottom is the sole most speak of, and the one which is susceptible to wearing out. It should be professionally replaced as it takes some skill, methods, and tools/adhesives to do it right.

Then there's the insert in front of the heel in the prev. generation of T6 and all T8s (BTW: kits are different - check B4 you decide/buy). It comes as a kit with adhesive and screws. This can be done by the consumer or a professional.

And there's a mid sole. This one is sewn in/sandwiched between the bottom sole and inner sole. Replacement is done by a professional as sewing/stitching. etc. is required.

The final portion of the sole is the inner, which comes in contact with and is closest to your sock/foot. Like the mid, it can be replaced and must be done by a pro.

AS farms out repair to a local (to them; they are in the south Los Angeles basin-bay - been there twice). If you call them, they used to refer to the local but last time I checked they were acting as a middleman. I have the name somewhere if you want it.

There is an other place in Escondito (sp?) CA which does excellent work in the $80 range. they have an ad in Cycle News. This one's contact info I have somewhere, if you want it. I would recomemed them as they use a better lasting sole from a competitor to AS.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Alpinestars does sell the part you're talking about (the pad wth the two screws)

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
IIRC it comes with a tube of the glue

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
If your boots are that old, the protective efficiency is prolly wore out to? Maybe just get a new pair? Are they still stiff enough to protect your feet and ankles? Just curious.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
IIRC= If I recall corectly

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Cr85RaCeR607 said:
ugghhh...i know, but what kind of adhesive do i need to put it on?

You will not be able to get the adhesive they use. I did research - made some kids shoes myself - and found the adhesive they use is virtually non-available in this country. I can get you the chemical name of it off of the tube if you care to but believe me it's futile to look for it here in the US.

They did give me a tube (can't be bought separately) to use on my repair work.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom