Alpinestars Tech 8's

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
anyone got any input on tech 8's?
break-in time, feel, and do the run big in size. looking to pick up a pair next week;)

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
In addition, does anybody know when the next version (Tech 10?) coming out? The T8 has been around a while now.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Good, comfortable boot. For me the boot size was the same as shoe size. Broken in after 1 ride.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I've tried Fox Forma's and RC3's and RC4's. The Tech 8 was the best money spent and I haven't had a single problem with the sole coming apart like what I read.

Alot of guys are liking the SIDI now, but I like the comfort and protection of the Tech 8. Feels like wearing a tennis shoe after a day's ride.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Protection A
Comfort A+
Soles B- (there are much better soles out there)
Bulk C (they are a little bulky, but such is the price of protection, I guess)
Price C (insanely expensive)
Trendyness A++

Summary, good boot! Really comfy, excellent protection. I am on my second pair and would strongly consider a third. Sizing is pretty close to shoe size, but try them if you can. Break in is average. As mentioned the soles do leave some to be desired. Longevity is quite good for the remainder of the boot though. Not very water proof. Other alternatives for me would be the Sidi or Gearne (best soles in the biz).

Good luck, you won't be disappointed in Tech 8s.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I got 1 year on my tech 8's now, soles are in fantastic shape, contrary to what i also have read here.
Concerning the price, you can definately get them for $289 if you check out some magazines, as opposed to the $300+ tag retail.
I went to a moto-week, picked up mine, new model and all, for $239.
good luck.
I havent heard much about the tech10, but did read an article with the owner of Astar, he mentioned that is what he is working on and that is will be something else, but it was a brief mention....
I would imagine that when the tech 10 comes out, you may see the 8's drop in price if alot of stock around and they stop making them.

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by JTT

Not very water proof.
[/B]

How could they possibly be waterproof? They are vented boots, thus allowing airflow to help keep your feet cool. Great boots though!!

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I have been a die hard Alpinestar man for many years. Wearing them exclusively for over 8 years. The Tech-8 is an excellent boot. It's a little bulky, and a little heavy until you get used to it. Great protection and super comfortable. They do have, however, one flaw, IMO. The soles are way to soft and they don't hold up at all. I had a hard time getting soles to last a whole season.

Last spring I decided to try something new so I ordered some Sidi's. I was a little leary with the hinges and everything. After riding with them a whole year I have nothing for praise for these boots. The soles are holding up great and I have only had one problem with a hinge that Motonation to care of right away no questions aked after the boots were already 8 months old. ONce you wear a pair you will never go back to Alpinestar. To top it off they have an awesome rider support program.

Check 'em out at Motonation.com.

Coach

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
2 complaints:
Too hot and too bulky. Mine are not ventilated.

Other than that they are very comfortable and seem to offer good protection. They broke in quickly (not after the first ride though). My next pair of boots will be the ventilated version even if they are white.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I tried on the T8,T6,M6 all side by side today at DGY. I preferred the fit/feel of the T6 the best. The T6 was lighter and less bulky around the ankle area than the T8. The M6 was not nearly as good as the T6 IMO. Regardless of price I would pick the T6. Overall I am not a fan of the A* buckles. But 2 new boots coming out to consider. I heard from the guy at DGY that the new Aplinestar (t10??) will be out June/July timeframe but is not supposed to replace the T8. The T8 is supposed to still be their premium boot. And from Motonation today the new SIDI Vortex will be available mid/late March. This is the boot in the latest DIRTBIKE mag.

I will either go with SIDI Vortex or T6 unless I can wait to see the new T10?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've worn T8's for a couple of years, also T6's and SiDI Force.
For me;
1) T8's are too wide at the ankles, but a really good boot
2) T6's offer less protection but are super comfortable and lighter
3) My favorite is the Force, without doubt, the most ankle protection available, nearly water-proof, best sole.

It's tough for anyone to say what the best boot is, it's subjective. Some feet are better in some boots, some may feel one boot is too "tall", (the Tech 8 in my case), etc., etc. I think all the top tier boots are good. Just make sure to try them on before you buy.

YMMV.

spodeinator

Jun 27, 2001
I've got one year on my Tech 8's, and the soles are trash. Not the replaceable part either. Pisses me off, I'm really hoping Alpinestars will fix them for me, as they cost way too much money to be wasted that quickly.

They arent waterproof at all either.

Other than those 2 things, they are great. But the sole problem is a show stopper for me, I would not buy them again.

spode.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I have an almost new set of T8's that have not been worn since I got the SIDI Force SRS. I like the T8's and like others have said... GREAT protection. They are comfortable but BULKY and HEAVY. For me the Force is a better boot, more comfortable, lighter, WAY less bulky and same quality of protection.

T8's Size 11 Blue for sale if ya want them.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
just picked up the tech 8's today. i am in the process of breaking them in. i like them so far, we'll find out how much i like them once on the ktm.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…