dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Just saw this at Cycle News' site.
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=2900

The gist of it is that Clear Channel is planning a 19 round FIM 'World Championship' of SX in 2003, with 16 rounds in the US.

The AMA is required to abide by FIM rules, which means the AMA could be forced to sanction the FIM World Championship races. Additionally, under FIM rules, the AMA could be prohibited from having any of its own championship races on the same day as the US rounds of the World Championship SX.

If this info is true, it looks like CC has outflanked the AMA, and the FIM has stabbed the AMA in the back.

Last edited:

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I think FIM is the european version of the AMA. They do the World Championships that Grant langston, Mike Brown, and Ryan Heughs(sp?) came from.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hmmm . . . 3 more rounds . . . probably somewhere in the middle of the season . . . lengthening the SX season . . . I wonder how this will affect the Nationals? Maybe if it interferes with the High Point round, Racer Productions (Coombs) won't be quite as buddy-buddy with CCE.
:think

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The FIM is the world's sanctioning body for international motorcycle competition. The AMA is a member of the world federation. As a member, it is subject to FIM rules, just like your District is subject to AMA rules.

IMO, the CC / FIM alliance puts the AMA in a tough spot, and they could be forced to reunite with CC. Perhaps there will only be one series next year, afterall.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
WOW! This could be seen as a death blow for the AMA, or it could indicate that CCE knows it needs the AMA to survive. Either way, this is turning into a really interesting struggle.
One thing is certain: CCE is dead serious about remaining involved in professional SX. Dem guys is some ruthless bastids!

I'm still sticking with the AMA.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Excerpt from Supercross.com--RJ interviews Clear Channel. Is this NOT the whole story, or is the AMA really a bunch of sissies without a leg to stand on?

RJ: It appears as though Clear Channel and the AMA have not had a 'good' relationship over the past few years. What has sparked the poor relationship?

Ken: I can speculate on what it is, but I really don't know. What I do know is that we offered to substantially increase the sanction fee that we pay them on a per event basis. As I've said previously, the AMA is walking away from a guaranteed seven million dollars over seven years.

In addition to that sanction fee, they retain the license fees, the mechanics fees, entry fees, and our fee for their officials and rider medical services they provide. We also offered to have all of our dirt track, road racing, and arenacross to be AMA sanctioned.

We're offering to pay them a bunch more money for nothing different in return. And we offered to sanction all of our other events by them, which seem to be such an issue, and we still don't have a deal. I don't have the foggiest idea what their intent is.

RJ: Is there still a possibility of Clear Channel and the AMA working this thing out?

Ken: From the beginning, we've made it clear that it is in everyone's best interest to have things go on as they were. Everything that we have done up to this point has been done with the idea of keeping the door open enough to make a deal if the AMA wants to, and is not in some way committed to Jam Sports. I don't know what the relationship is between the AMA and Jam Sports is. The announcement the AMA put out makes it seem like a 'Letter of Intent'. It is in everyone's best interest to work it out. But the door is opening and closing quickly - everyone needs to get on with their business.

RJ: I'm going to fire off a couple of quick questions. Who is in charge of the purse monies?

Ken: Clear Channel pays the purse monies.

RJ: Who is in charge of safety and insurances?

Ken: We pay the AMA a fee, and they provide the rider medical insurance. All the other insurances that go into putting on a live event, such as protecting the spectators, and insurance to protect against damage to the facility, we pay for that.

There are quite a few issues regarding safety. Safety and security for the fans, we pay for that. That includes security guards, ushers, and more.

RJ: Who collects entry fees?

Ken: The AMA.

RJ: How about mechanics passes?

Ken: The AMA.

RJ: How about gate receipts from ticket sales?

Ken: Clear Channel. And that's because we take 100% of the risk. If no one shows up, we still pay for the facility, advertising, the dirt, and everything else. We pay for everything.

RJ: Who gets the parking monies?

Ken: It's different at each facility. Generally, they pay their employees, and we don't participate in those revenues. Same for food and beverage concessions.

RJ: How about merchandise such as shirts, hats, etc.?

Ken: There are three answers to that. Us, the facility, and royalties that are paid to riders and others.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
It appears to me that the CCE business savvy is no match for the AMA. I just don't see a way the AMA will come out of this pretty much devastated in the SX area, which of course will probably bleed over into the outdoor nationals. Does anyone have an alternate opinion on how the AMA can come out of this (besides eating major crow and re-aligning with CCE while obviously facing lawsuits by Jam?)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Seems that CCE has found a serious trump card labeled FIM. Got to give them credit for some serious tactical manuevering. At this point, I'm happy. I want one series, and one series only. Do you think the AMA will have to come crawling back? Not sure if they will, pride is a tough meal.

Blade

Spammer
Jan 4, 2002
My biggest complaint with CCE is I don`t think they care one bit about the outdoor nationals. I think they would like to see the series gone so that they can hold more SX events.

The AMA on the other is far from perfect. The BRC has had to try and handle land use issues but they seem to only be concerned witht he western part of the country. If the AMA would get invovlved with local clubs in the east to help keep open riding areas I would be more likely to support them. I am still a member but I don`t know for how much longer.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Prior to 1970 AMA was not part of the FIM and maybe won't be again. The most money and the top riders are in the US, why does AMA need FIM in motocross. Now roadracing is another story. The money, the fame and the prestige is in Europe.

Last edited:

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
I really don't know anything about any of this, but I just hope that CCE and the AMA don't pull our sport down for silly reasons. They have to think in the best intrest of our sport. They need to work out all this stuff that is going on. I don't want to see our sport go down the tubes because they can't work out there personal problems or whatever. They both need to get there act together.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Damn Normans! :mad:

As to Clear Channel -- they were offered a deal where they'd keep millions from AMA. Now go looking for an end run. I'm pulling for AMA. I have SEEN, and helped BRING DOWN, promoters that got too big for their britches. :p (Yes, it was the side of the angels, in my opinion -- of course I can't be sure in this case, but I sure know that it happens).

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Everyone knows the AMA won the right to control SX at the Battle of Hastings in 1066! :)

While the AMA may have the best intentions, CC & the FIM have international TV money to play with and most the existing venues wrapped up.

My GUESS is, with pressure from the manufacturers, CC will offer the AMA a financial settlement, allowing CC to use the AMA name & contiue the series history. In exchange, the AMA will make nice in public and not run a competing series. JAM motorsports will also have to get paid off, taking most of the money paid to the AMA by CC.

Due to the increased overhead of paying off JAM & the AMA, the rider purse will remain at today's ludicrously low levels.

The alternative is the AMA gives CC the bird, we run 2 series, everyone takes up sides, and it gets decided in court.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
How close does the AMA really follow the FIM anyway? Doesn't the FIM allow works bikes still? Doesn't someone run an aluminum framed YZ426 over there? If they aren't that aligned right now why would they have to do anything with them next year?

My bet is that AMA/JAM will run next year and all the big riders/sponsors will be in that series. I base this on the live TV coverage every Saturday night. Hands down, I think that is the trump card.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I read somewhere (Cycle News, I think) that CC/FIM have ties to international TV coverage that would get them into twice as many homes as the AMA/JAM U.S. TV package.

Also, if things get nasty between the FIM and AMA, there are plenty of things the FIM could do. For starters, cancel all road race USGP's, prohibit AMA card holders from competing in international competition, including MXdN, ISDE, GP's, roadrace, etc...

The article linked above may just be CC stirring up the pot - for all we really know, the FIM and AMA are getting along great.

My impression is that the Japanese manufacturers have a heavy influence at the AMA, and will encourage the AMA to reconcile with CC, especially if CC is offering a large payment to the AMA/JAM.

In retrospect, the AMA should have gone to greater lengths to protect its interest from an ambitious contractor. However, CC probably feels they are largely responsible for the success of SX, and they are not going to give up 'their' cash cow just because of an expired contract.

If their are 2 series, that could be good news for some riders as purses might increase to attract talent.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Like previous people have said the FIM is the major player weather the US likes it or not.You cannot ignore the people who are in charge of all major motorsports thoughout the world.The AMA and the US is large but it still needs the rest of the world to play its part otherwise you will end up with only american riders, and the telent base will dwindle as will the audiences.Im glad the AMA might have to conceed as if the sx was split i doubt i would bother to tape it-if i did i wouldnt be as interested.:silly:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Good link KX,

I found this funny...

I don't want a promoter suddenly deciding that Ricky Carmichael should start the race facing the other direction - just because someone upstairs thinks it would make for a better show.

That would be a hoot, eh?

But, OTOH, maybe the AMA should see to it that the leading 250 national rider (winner, at that point) shouldn't be able to dip down into the 125 class just to satisfy his ego and by doing so screw up an exciting points race? :debil:

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
I still don't get the FIM supercedes AMA thing. What do they really have in common? Do they go by the same rule book? I don't think so.

Additionally, under FIM rules, the AMA could be prohibited from having any of its own championship races on the same day as the US rounds of the World Championship SX.

Is there a converse rule of the FIM can't hold events on the same day as the AMA? It seems that the AMA announced their schedule BEFORE CC joined up with FIM. What would really happen if the AMA disobeyed the the FIM? Would it really do anything? Saying that if they only had their own thing going and that it wouldn't be competitive is like saying NASCAR isn't competitive. Is NASCAR internationally sanctioned?

I will laugh at the first round of the FIM supercross if they enforce their db limit on 4 strokes.

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
The article makes some good points but fails to mention the TV coverage.
Personally I would love to see supercross Live every Sat. night :)
If the new Speed Chan can put on a great show and get put on the basic cable channel lineup, not the extended package like it is now in my area it will be great. I hate waiting a whole week and it is never as much fun to watch when you know the winner.

As far as a world series goes I think this could hurt some teams and may force them to side with the AMA. If I'm Chevy Trucks and I know that I sale less than 1% of my trucks over seas then why would I want to pay the team I sponsor more money to travel over to Europe and Japan where my advertising money won't sell any trucks. This is a big reason why some CART teams are switching to the IRL this coming seasons.

If there really is two series next year and I hope threes not the teams will go where their sponsors will get the most for their advertising dollars.

Can you buy SoBe in Europe,Japan?

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
Look at the fund raising that goes on just for us to send 3 riders to MXDN. Ask the ISDE folks what it costs? Ever wonder why we haven't participated in past world supercross championship series (the entire series not select events). Why do the riders want an appearance fee?

If manufactures have to pay to ship everybody all over the place - watch for less factory riders in each country.

YoT? Yea - They'll travel. Before the Mulisha I'm sure:o I don't think any of the non-factory teams have the budget to support teams traveling internationally.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom