Ankles and case jobs... HELP!!! What do you do?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I rode Gatorback's MX track last week and had quite some trouble and need some help in what to do in this situation:

First of all, Gatorback has mostly big tables with SX-style faces that send you way up in the air. So basically you have to clear the tables all the way or pretty much roll them. Well... trying to clear them - I came across a big problem!

3rd gear... going pretty good, up the face, WAY up in the air, and OH NO... I'm not gonna clear it all the way. Prepare for a smack-down flat-landing... OUCH!!! MY ANKLES!!

I not only did this in practice and injured my left ankle... but did it again (and much worse) to my right ankle in the 2nd moto. 5 days later I'm still hobbling around.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION:

What do you do and how do you prepare yourself for a hard flat-landing or case job? Especially when you are coming from pretty far up? Which part of your foot is best to have on the pegs to avoid jarring your ankles (heels, arches, balls, toes)? Is there a way to soak up the landing with your knees, legs, body, arms, etc? Just what can you do when you go off a jump and know you aren't gonna make it? Also - do you think that boots have a big part to do with injuring my ankles in this situation?

Thank you for all comments and suggestions.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Position your foot so that the peg touches the sole just where the actual heel of the boot begins. These big hits are something you don't need your ankles as extra suspension for. I'm not quite sure of using the actual heel, my friend ruptured the fat pad (or whatever) that is under your heel (ouch) while landing on rollerskates (hard, he's factory sponsored and does crazy ****).

Then try to keep your body straight(a little bit bent of course) to be able to compress when you hit the ground and keep the bike even or slightly nose-high. When you land, keep throttle on and let your joints take some of the hit.

Good solid boots will help to keep your ankles from bending sideways and hard soles may help to spread the load on your sole but not much to relieve it further up your body.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Anssi
...When you land, keep throttle on ...
Good advice above but pin the throttle to stiffen the rear suspension and try to land mostly on the rear wheel.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Because landings are always hard on my XR I never leave the face of a jump with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It’s just like punching, if your wrist is bent it will break but if it’s in line with your arm then it will be solid. It’s the same with your feet, it’s all about where the impact force is spread.

Lee W.

I know you guys had this coverd but I just wanted to add my thoughts.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Once I have used up all of the suspension travel, I usually let my body flop down on the seat, tank, handlebars, etc. I've found it usually hurts more afterwards if I tense up too much.

Of course, I also have several scars on my head that imply I shouldn't let it hit the handlebars. If it is a flat landing, as opposed to casing a double, I usually shift my weight back so that my head will come down on the seat or tank rather than the bars.

All of what I have described is probably bad advice...but I feel it has enabled me to get away with less sever injuries.

jaybob

Nov 15, 2001
I once seen a video of a guy who did this monstrous jump. He overshot his landing ramp and landed flat from waaaay up there. Needless to say when his body flopped from the impact he completely unzipped his face from his skull when his head smashed down on the handlebars. The guy survived but ooouch!!!!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
lets cure the problem nikki

starting with under jumping in those situations to begin with. I have rode for better part of 30 years and found that if you KNOW your going to underjump an obstacle then your ready for the landing, hence your not stiff (or shouldn't be) and can handle the bounce better.
I would suggest that you be on the "balls" of your feet in this instance, a couple reasons come to mind.
1. if the impact is so severe that it is going to hurt you being on the balls of your feet will possibly allow your feet to slip off the pegs and not send the entire impact through your legs.
2. of course you want most of the impact to radiate through your legs but having your heels "locked " on the pegs can produce many nasty side effects.
3. gomer said above to let your body flop on the seat, this will happen no matter what you try to do if you over jump real bad. but its how you control it in the air that matters.
4. landing on a slightly elevated front tire with rear suspension hitting first is sound advice.
5. make dam sure that your arms and hands are positioned correctly, more broken wrists happen every year because of bad form and hard landings without any crashing at all!
6.in any case IF you can under jump an obstacle with out increasing your possiblity of crashing I STRONGLY recomend going with that approach rather than "clearing" the thing and then tryiing to figure out how to land.
Doubles and triples can also be under jumped if the landing is forgiving enough.

I have seen way to many riders at my races do the "over jump and make it thing" only to get in serious trouble on the landing.

as usaual ride loose, relax and stay in position the rest will take care of itself!

wardy

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Definitely land rear wheel first, throttle pinned. Be ready for the landing, but as said above, do not stiffen up too much. Good boots are also key. My alpinstars used to kill me when I lended short, but when I switched to Sidi's, I no longer felt the landings.

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
yep, most all of this advise is good.
* landing with the front wheel a little higher.
* with the gas on to load up the suspension.
* trying to relax, thats good (although when I'am in that situation , a big dose of o****! is probably what you would see on my face)
*a little bit of a panic rev might be in store , if the rear is not low enough/ tap the rear brake for the opposite adjustment. I'am sure there is some other mid air movments I need to learn.
With all of that said and done an over jump would be an unforgiving experience for me until I got my suspension squared away , it took the third tuner to get it right and now its no big deal, believe me.You see I took twenty years off, at 41 I can't afford not to be a student of the game. :eek: :)

Top Bottom