_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hi,

I am going to get my rims anodized gold in a few weeks ($40 :D) and I was wondering if it would be possible to anodize my upper and lower triple clamps?? I want that "factory" look without paying big bucks, so this is my alternative.

-- Questions --

1. Have any of you done this before (to your clamps?)? I know anodizing makes the metal stronger, so would it make it more prone to cracking (IE: It's so strong that it has no flex. In the incident of a crash, the clamps crack?)?
** I don't need new clamps for riding position or replacement. My stockers are perfectly fine and I only want to get that "look" of trick "red" clamps.. :) **

2. Would it be hard to get that factory "red" look? What I mean is that will they turn out pink, or the way I want them to? I would hate to have pink clamps :o :whiner:

3. And finally, how is anodization done? (IE: The object is dipped in a mixer and left to gain color, etc..)

Thanks a lot,
Dan

(BTW: I have a 2001 RM 125 if you are wondering :))

Factory Connection Clamps:
http://www.factoryconnection.com/products/images/redclamp.jpg
http://www.factoryconnection.com/products/images/redMounts.jpg

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
I could be wrong on this but I heard that it is difficult to anodise cast alloy, as opposed to billet alloy. I did see a webpage about anodising a week or so ago but cant remember the web address :uh:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
You will have to remove you steering stem if it is ferrous.
Cast stuff doesn't get the sharp shiny finish that billet parts get.
I have done hard coat anodizing on castings for a more mil spec appearance.
I don't think you will get the results you are looking for, if you want to make your cast parts look like billet you are not going to be happy.
But if you are willing to experiment with a new finish or be pleased with whatever you get go for it!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
I don't know what billet is, so skip that :scream:..

All I want is colored clamps, even if it's not shiney.. Will I be able to make the clamps a "good" red by anodizing, yes or no?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Andonizing is where you take the part, and run electricity through it in a weak acid solution. The coloring is made by dipping the fresh andonized part into a dye.

I dont think that andonizing stock triple clamps will give you the look you want. Have you ever seen those red brake calipers on cars?? I saw some red brake caliper paint at the auto parts store. I wonder if that would work?

P.S. Billet means that the part has been machined from bar stock instead of being melted and poured into a cast.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hey thanks..

So Billet is when they take a block of aluminum (or whatever) and machine it down to the right specs, instead of melting it and pouring it into a cast?

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Does anybody have any pictures of cast parts they've had anodized so we can get an idea of how it will turn out? What about having the cast part polished first then anodized, will this imprive the finish any?
That's a good site alright wanrep, I wonder is it possible to do clutch and brake levers by his method? Anybody know?

helio

Dec 19, 2001
Concerning wheels - Sometime ago I thought to anodize my wheels, I make some calls and whole the people told me be impossible (reason-BAD finish) due to aluminum composition.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I tried some calls in Portugal but I give up...In August will be impossible riding here(due to high summer heat), so I will take that time to polish my wheels and install a new set of spokes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom