another new addition

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Well today I was feeling lonely, my trusty KDX in the hands of someone new now I went to the local shop. In the corner of the used bike section there she sat, the 1997 GasGas EC250 I'd been looking over. Well today she came home with me :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Congrats, smb...
It's prolly a bit lighter than the old green beast too, aye?

Roost on!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Bbbbbbrrpppppp........wecome to the family of Gassers. They are great bikes, if they just had a name that didn't get a guy teased so much.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
this bike absolutely rips!
However, (I hate to have to admit this) how do you change the bottom end oil on this thing :scream:

She seems to have an annoying little habit of slipping out of first gear, which I attrribute to gunked up oil, hopefully it's nothing more. I'd appreciate it if someone would help me out with some advice on this.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Did you pull the right plug?? My manual was wrong. My bike also kept falling into nuetral going from first to second. It has gotten better. I run the spectro oil in mine. I tried the ATF but was a little afraid so I went with the Spectro.

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hmm a manual, that might be a wise investment. I haven't tried to change it yet though, I was wondering because there's an oil level window on the engine that looks like it was meant to be removed, and you need allen wrenches for all the other fill and drain things, it's going to take some getting used to I believe. I'm not happy with the current color scheme either, new plastic and graphics are high on my priorities list. I'll throw up a pic here of what it looks like now, it's kinda ugly :(

flyinfinn

Nov 15, 2001
when you go buying that plastic, keep in mind that you can fit 94-98 kx rearfender and side numberplates, so you can get much more cooler colors to your bike! just for a tip...:D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
thanks for the tip flyinfinn, I'm planning to go with the KX rear plastic because it'll probably be much cheaper than the GG stuff. I'm planning on doing the bike in black and blue with some updated graphics. I believe the 2001 graphics will work? They look similar at least, I can probably get them to work ;)
Changed the fluid in my clutch (very simple), changed the bottom end oil and everything, ready to ride this weekend :)

headbanger

May 7, 2000
Make sure you add the correct amount of tranny oil. The window is only to see the condition of the oil not it's level. You should check out www.smackovermotorsports.com they have a forum with plenty of GAS GAS info. I guess they have good prices on GAS GAS parts also.
Good luck with your GAS GAS!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
well then how in the world do you check to make sure you've got the right amount of oil :scream:
I'd hate to toast a nice bike because of my ineptness, please help me out here, Thanks.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
smb,
The bike takes 1 qt. of oil in the tranny.
Also, you may find factory GasGas plastic is as cheap or cheaper than others available. I replaced all my plastic with GG stuff and it was fairly inexpensive. Check your local dealer if you have one or smackover.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
thanks everyone for the suggestions, I can't believe how much cheaper GG plastic is than the KX stuff. I've got half of the plastic ordered and another part for the bike. The guy at Smackover said my first gear problem is most likely attributed to a worn shift claw, which I purchased for $8. He said installation is simple and it should cure the problem. He mentioned that a lot of people have had problems with first gear on their GG's and this appears to be the problem, so if anyone's having first gear issues this might be your ticket, I'll let you guys know if it solves the problem after I get it installed.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…