Kim

~SPONSOR~
Jul 27, 2001
Hello all! I have been lurking around this site for a while now and finally decided to post something. This site has allowed me to find some really awesome people that ride in my area, particularly Bob and Anne Brooks. They only live 5 minutes from me and have been really helpful with advice and bike maintenance. Thanks guys!

So here’s my story …. I have been riding street bikes since 93 and after having some close calls from the maniacs on 4 wheels I decided to give dirt riding a try. Of course coming off the street I automatically think I can handle a 400cc thumper since my street bike was bigger than that. Bob and Anne told me otherwise, and I am glad I listened to them. This past October they took me out to Buffalo Rock and were able to get a spare bike from a friend, a KDX 200/220, for me to try out to see if I even liked it or not. Really cool! I even got to try Anne’s XR 250 (before she switched to the KTM 200) which I soon realized why I don’t want a 400cc bike, that little 250 was heavy to pick up and had plenty of power. I didn’t do to bad my first time out; I fell a lot and had a hard time starting the bikes (I couldn’t find the electric start button). But Anne was really patient with me and all I could do is say I was sorry for falling so much.

Anyway, I decided this is what I wanted to do so in January I sold my street bike and bought a used 2000 KDX 220, from another friend of Bob and Anne. It had all the goodies on it, FMF pipe, frame guards, skid plate, FRP handlebar clamp thingy, FRP kick start lever, and the FRP rear fender. I was all excited about riding with them again. Then Anne had her accident on their trip to Oklahoma. That poor thing has been through hell and is doing a lot better now as she posted earlier. My first outing was interesting. Bob took me out to Buffalo again, and I did one of those seat drop offs and watched the bike fly through the air. The front rotor was bent along with the sub frame. I wanted to sell the darn thing, and was wondering why the hell I wanted to do this. Well in the next week or so they helped me put the stock pipe and sprocket on along with other things to make it milder. Bob, thank you for all your help! My next outing was a lot better, sort of. It was at Wardy’s place in Fox Valley. I did decent on the trail stuff but the 3 hills we attempted I made it up at least half way and fell over. This chick needs to work on the basics, body positioning and throttle control, etc.

The moral of the story is this dirt riding stuff is way harder than any street riding I ever attempted. Those boys on TV make it look really easy. My 2 experiences this year have been very humbling, as I no longer think I can pick this up as easy as I did with street riding. Bob and Anne, thank you so much for your support and talking me out of not giving up so easy.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Welcome Kim! Glad to hear you've finally decided to introduce yourself. I've ridden a KDX a few times and they are great bikes. Just a little tall for me with the stock suspension.

Also, glad to hear you've met some friends who are giving you a hand. Having a patient teacher does wonders.

Again welcome!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hi Kim! Glad to see you decided to introduce yourself instead of hanging out as a "guest". :)

All these new folks we've had join lately made me realize I never really did get around to formally introducing myself! :confused: I had a burning question to ask so I signed up and posted my question all in one fell swoop! Seems I'm always in a hurry!

This was just a little over two months ago. It didn't really matter about the no intro thingy because EVERYONE ON DRN IS AWESOME and you will get hooked in no time!!

Some of the first few people who responded to my "burning question" back in March I now consider good friends and I have gone riding with them as well! Wow - how's that for pretty awesome!!

Very supportive group here! Have fun, welcome aboard and its good to have you here!!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Welcome to DRN Kim! You made the right decision to join in. We're always especially glad to see new female members join. :)
The KDX is a great bike. Don't worry about crashing too much. We've all been there. It will just take some time and practice. When ever I'm having an off day and just can't seem to ride worth a darn I have to think back to what it was like when I first started and realize I've come a long way. I'm sure it's frustrating at times but enjoy the learing process. Well actually I don't think the "learning process" ever ends. ;) Once you get a handle on the basics there will always be new challenges to tackle and learn from.

You are fortunate to have cool people like Bob and Anne to help you out. This place is full of people just like them. I just recently moved to the Midwest and was hoping to be able to ride with Anne some, I didn't really get a chance to at Dirtweek last year and now she's hurt. :(
Have you ever ridden at LTM in Casey? Maybe we'll have a chance to meet up and ride sometime. :)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Welcome, Kim!

I too rode a street bike, and then met my husband who introduced me to dirt bikes. I've been hooked ever since! (And humbled umpteen times). I learned at Buffalo Range as well, and it's not the best of places for beginners, but you will learn a lot in a big hurry! I thought I was a pretty decent rider, and then we moved to New York. Now I have to start all over again. :(
But, I have waay too much fun to give it up, the dirt seems to just get in your blood and you can't ignore it... like a junkie waiting for the next "fix"!

Enjoy! And the KDX is a great bike-- you'll get along just fine.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Hey Kim, glad to see you finally posted something! Hang in there with the dirt riding. You'll get the hang of it, just don't give up on it. We'll get your rotor mounted and your front brake working good so you can at least stop!

KLRay

Apr 9, 2002
Hi Kim, my wife Motololo got her first bike a couple of months ago. Now she visits this site almost every day! Welcome aboard!

Kim

~SPONSOR~
Jul 27, 2001
Thank you for all the welcomes!

Bob, yes being able to stop will be a good thing ... but I have to learn to kick start it first.

Top Bottom