Lone_Star

Jul 22, 2008
Looking to get my first bike

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6 foot 6" 235 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
very

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, fields with friends,

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No

5) Do you think you will race ?
Probably not

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes but I was planning on buying used

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$3500 max

10) Do you live in California?
Nope, midwest

11) Your age?

:ride:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Either a 2 stroke 250 or a four stroke 450.

For your size and weight you will need a full size bike so stay away from the "off road" models such as the Yamaha TTR-xxx, Honda CRF230, etc. These are great bikes for beginners and short riders but they will lack the suspension that you will very quickly want.

A four stroke is a little more forgiving for a beginner so I would favor that a bit. They also tend to be a bit more expensive, however. For your size and weight I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 250 on a two stroke or 450 on a four stroke.

If you don't plan on racing a bike such as a Yamaha WR450F would be a good choice. It is well suited for trails, comes with a kick stand and head/tail light for night rides. You shoudl be able to pick up a 4 to 5 year old model in your price range.

If you wanted to save a few dollars then something like a Yamaha YZ-250 would be a good choice. You should be able to pick up a good bike that is 5 to 6 years old for around $2000. Powerful two strokes are not the easiest things to learn on but if you are aggressive and a quick learner you shouldn't have a problem.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom