Another noob with another "what bike should i get?"

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5' 10" and 150 lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
when i get comfortable on it, pretty aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
mostly the bayou, but i do like to catch air so i most definately
will be visiting the track

4) Do you have any riding experience?
barely any, my friend had a yz80 we used to ride when we were kids

5) Do you think you will race ?
probably not, but who knows

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
im somewhat mechanically inclined but new to bikes so i'll probably just be doing oil changes and simple stuff

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
i was thinking a honda or suzuki, as far as 2 or 4 stroke, i'm unsure what exactly i'll need

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
i'm in houston so everything is available

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
try not to spend more than $3500 in a used bike

10) Do you live in California?
Texas baby

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i want something that would be a good first bike but something i won't have to replace as soon as i get some experience under my belt

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
jackflack44 said:
250f, as for the brand pick your favorite color.
i found a 99 honda crf250 for a decent price ($1,900). also found a CRF230F. whats the F for after the 230? also whats the difference between an off road and motocross? so far all i can tell is that theres a pretty big price difference. i've been doing some research but i'm still full of questions so i apologize for the questions you've all probably answered a dozen times before

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
_JOE_ said:
125 2t. Do the 144.
125 2t? Yamaha TTR125? whats the 144? i know, alot of questions. but i'll probably be getting one here in the next couple of weeks so i wanna make sure i don't end up with somethin i don't want.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Slim 2.4 said:
i found a 99 honda crf250 for a decent price ($1,900). also found a CRF230F. whats the F for after the 230? also whats the difference between an off road and motocross? so far all i can tell is that theres a pretty big price difference. i've been doing some research but i'm still full of questions so i apologize for the questions you've all probably answered a dozen times before

Okay, lets see if we can answer all these! :nener:

A CRF250 is a motocross bike tuned for racing, and suspension for racing. A CRF230F is a mainly offroad bike (fairly mellow) with very little to no motocross use. The f stands for offroad. I personally prefer a 250f over the 230 for the extra power and just overall fun factor :nod:

So if you have any more questions feel free to ask it makes all of us feel smart to have something to answer! :laugh:

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
jackflack44 said:
:laugh:

Okay, lets see if we can answer all these! :nener:

A CRF250 is a motocross bike tuned for racing, and suspension for racing. A CRF230F is a mainly offroad bike (fairly mellow) with very little to no motocross use. The f stands for offroad. I personally prefer a 250f over the 230 for the extra power and just overall fun factor :nod:

So if you have any more questions feel free to ask it makes all of us feel smart to have something to answer!

oh and i have plenty! many thanx to all of you for making this easy on me. the forums i usually visit for cars (my true love) are full of snobs that try to make u feel like an a-hole for asking any kinda question.
but i'm starting to narrow my search down some and i'm kinda leanin towards the 99 CRF230. heres the link http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1999-HONDA-CRF250-93525518 it says that its jetted for race fuel though. can i still run regular in it? sooo, this is a MX bike? does that have anything to do with whether or not its a 2 or 4 stroke?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
its actually a CRF250f dont know where you got 230? no you cant run regulat fuel in it. it is an mx bike but has off road capabilities. no it has nothing to do with being 2 stroke or 4 stroke most 2 stroke bikes are for mx. (except for the KDX)

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
and from the pic it looks like it has a two stroke pipe? odd since the CR'F'250 is a four stroke?

And reeds are usualy associated with 2 strokes so engine swap maybe?

And the CR graphics i noticed lol

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
jackflack44 said:
its actually a CRF250f dont know where you got 230? no you cant run regulat fuel in it. it is an mx bike but has off road capabilities. no it has nothing to do with being 2 stroke or 4 stroke most 2 stroke bikes are for mx. (except for the KDX)
my bad, ur right CRF250, copy and pasted the wrong thing. well i guess i can mark that off cuz i don't need anything that runs on race fuel

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
yea and idk wth those ppl selling the bike are talking about. stay away from that bike! lol what part of texas is willis in?

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
jackflack44 said:
yea and idk wth those ppl selling the bike are talking about. stay away from that bike! lol what part of texas is willis in?
not sure, the search was within 50 miles of my zip(houston) so it couldn't be too far.
alright so i can pretty much mark off motocross bikes cuz they're a little more than i'm looking to spend unless i get a kx100,cr85, yz85, or an rm85. the 85's are kids bikes right? what about the kx100?

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Ok looking in on this thread has me wanting to beat my head against a wall. The cycle trader ad you posted is a 1999 CR 250 2 stroke not a CRF250 as Honda did not make CRF250's in 1999.

A quick breakdown by brand (replace xxx with 125,250 etc as appropriate):

Honda

CRxxxR - 2 stroke race bike
CRFxxxR - 4 stroke race bike
CRFxxxX - 4 stroke off road performance bike
CRFxxxF - 4 stroke play bike

Suzuki

RMxxx - 2 stroke race bike
RM-Zxxx - 4 stroke race bike
DR-Zxxx - 4 stroke play bike

Yamaha

YZxxx - 2 stroke race bike
YZxxxF - 4 stroke race bike
WRxxxF - 4 stroke off road performance bike
TT-Rxxx - 4 stroke play bike

Given your size and experience a 250 2 stroke is asking for a world of hurt. Like Joe recommended early in this thread I would look for a used 125 2 stroke (Suzuki RM125, Yamaha YZ125, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX125 or KTM 125SX). The bike will offer plenty of performance for someone of your skill and size.

Slim 2.4

Aug 30, 2008
thanx, i guess. but go ahead and beat yer head against the wall. i'm new to bikes so i'm trying to learn something by coming here, not be mocked because of my lack of experience. but seroiusly, appreciate the info. this will be helpful :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom