Another Question???????? Crank Seals

Jan 27, 2008
Just wondering, if you know your crank seal(s) are leaking, is there anyway to determine which one it is, or do you have to replace the both of them? In a kx 125...Thanks for your help in advance...Jason

AV8R

Jan 20, 2006
If you are burning transmission oil it is the clutchside crank seal. If inconsistant idle, or big unexplained bog in the absence of any other changes, or noted stain behind the flywheel then it is the flywheel side seal.
You can also conduct a leak down test and see where the air is leaking out by spraying soapy water on the flywheel side or noting air coming out of the tans vent tube for the clutch side seal.

Jan 27, 2008
Well I am up to this point: I have removed the top end and noticed a little black oil rubbed on and around the piston. I did not notice any mass of oil or black residue on the bottom or around the crank. Is it normal for the black oil, possible the 2 stroke mixture to be seen on the piston, and not in the case/crank?

Jan 27, 2008
I gotta say........Bikebandit.com ROCKS!!! I spoke with a live rep.online and he was able to give me all the information I needed!! If anyone knows anyone from there his name was Shane. Thanks for your responces but I got it figured out now.....Also wanna give a special thanks to Lucky (LCS racing) for all the help he has provided. If anyone has any service needs either one of these places can help and are very, very, friendly about it all...Take care and hope to see you all on the track soon!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom