Another solicitation for a family of newbies

Sled Idaho

Mar 25, 2007
Your help needed for a family of newbies

I just wrote some of this in the "Introduce yourself" section and then found this. Sorry for the near-double post.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Me - 6"0", 210 lbs, age 41
Wife - 5'6", 140 lbs, age 40
Son - 5'6", 110 lbs, age 13

2) How physical / aggressive are you?
Like some challenge, but not into big air or racing. Looking for family fun.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Will be riding mostly open and forested trails.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No

5) Do you think you will race ?
No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Maybe 50%. Have done some work on the snowmobiles but nothing terribly technical.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Been thinking the KTM 300 for me, and the 230/250 four strokes for wife & son. Would like to go four-stroke with wife & son's bikes. Would like to stick with Yamaha / Honda because the dealers here are good.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, all brands within close proximity with good service depts.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Would like to keep the cost of the first two at $5500 or below.

10) Do you live in California?
No, Idaho.

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Would like to keep these first bikes for a while rather than trade out every 2-3 years, due to costs. So I would like a bike for me and for my wife that we can grow into and be happy with for a while. I assume my son will grow out of his shortly, but want him to get into the sport right and enjoy it.

We do snowmobile, mostly off-trail mountain riding, so we do have experience in motorized recreation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mx_rider7

Jan 13, 2007
ok for u i would get a wr250 (yamaha) For your wife probaly a ttr250. and for your son i would get him a ttr230 or crf230. So he can just pick his colors

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You could probably do well on the KTM 300 (I'm assuming you have experience on sleds, hence the monicker). Not sure I'd get the TTR250 for the wife, as it's relatively tall in the seat, and if she's a noob she may not enjoy it much. I'd go for the TTR/CRF230 for her, and maybe for the boy, unless he's more agressive. You may have to trade up for him fairly quickly, probably to one of the YZF/CRF-X models.

good luck

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Sled Idaho said:
wife - 5'6", 140 lbs, age 40

Wow, does your wife know you just posted her weight on the internet???? :laugh:

How is your wife at kick-starting a bike?

If she is likely to get aggressive and really attach the terrain then I would recommend a MX bike just for the suspension. If she is more likely to keep the tires in contact with the ground at all times then you might want to consider an "off road" style bike, four stroke with electric start. Towards the end of a ride and the legs are tired and she stall the bike, just being able to push a button and get going again can be priceless.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The 300 would be an awesome choice. I'd look at something like a TTR125LE or CRF150F not the R model for your wife and maybe even your son.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
welcome to the dirt ...
The ktm 300 would get my vote for you. Great suspension,
forgiving powerband, lots of torque and a well made bike.

we need more info on the wife and kid... have they ridden before? Have they used a clutch ? what's their inseam ?
( can they touch the ground on the bikes you mentioned?)

My kids all ride and love it ! They're not quite ready for the
technical trails of Idaho yet, but they are getting there.

10 yr boy- KX 60
11 yr girl- KLX110
13 yr girl- CR80 expert (this things a handfull!!!!)

44 yr dad- CR250R

Drop me a note, Maybe we can ride.

Sled Idaho

Mar 25, 2007
Thanks for the comments everyone. All this helps narrow things down.

You could probably do well on the KTM 300 (I'm assuming you have experience on sleds, hence the monicker)
That is kind of what I have been thinking...not needing to start at the very bottom but close to it since the two sports are quite different. We ride off trail mostly in the area surrounding Boise (McCall, Cascade, etc.) I ride a piped 2003 Polaris 700 RMK 151.

Wow, does your wife know you just posted her weight on the internet????

How is your wife at kick-starting a bike?

If she is likely to get aggressive and really attach the terrain then I would recommend a MX bike just for the suspension. If she is more likely to keep the tires in contact with the ground at all times then you might want to consider an "off road" style bike, four stroke with electric start. Towards the end of a ride and the legs are tired and she stall the bike, just being able to push a button and get going again can be priceless
LOL...oops. :whoa:

Great advice...I had not thought of the electric start aspect. Good to know that is available. When sledding, rules 1-10 are to make sure the wife is warm and comfortable. So I can definitely see that as being an advantage. Thanks.

The 300 would be an awesome choice. I'd look at something like a TTR125LE or CRF150F not the R model for your wife and maybe even your son.
A couple friends have also mentioned going with the 125/150 four-strokes as good starter bikes for my wife & son. Thanks.

we need more info on the wife and kid... have they ridden before? Have they used a clutch ? what's their inseam ?
( can they touch the ground on the bikes you mentioned?)

-snip-

Drop me a note, Maybe we can ride.
None of us have any experience. So we are going to start slow. Where are some good spots around here to take some good beginner rides and practice? Once we get some time under our belts, that would be great. Thanks for the invite.

Thanks again everyone.

skyhigh230

Mar 21, 2007
Definatly for the son go with the CRF230F or the TTR230
but i have got a CRF230F and its a great starting bike but he will grow out of it in about a year and a half and want something better

mbaird

May 25, 2006
Give me a call (703-7073) cell (377-3900) work
I will take you guys out to Pleasent Valley to practice . That
will give you an idea of what to start with.

I feel the recomendation of a MX bike is correct, soft suspension is most important to a novice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom