Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've been a long time and happy customer of Norton Anti Virus, however due to an incredible bungling and the poor follow up customer service to my attempted subscription renewal I have decided I will not support Symantec any longer.

I'm looking for recommendations to replace my Norton AV. I will need a product that either allows the product to be installed on multiple PC's or available with a 3 user licence like Norton. I don't have the time to deal with virus issues and reformatting pc's so I want something decent that can do a comparable job to Norton.

Any happy users of other AV products out there?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
I've been a long time and happy customer of Norton Anti Virus, however due to an incredible bungling and the poor follow up customer service to my attempted subscription renewal I have decided I will not support Symantec any longer.

I'm looking for recommendations to replace my Norton AV. I will need a product that either allows the product to be installed on multiple PC's or available with a 3 user licence like Norton. I don't have the time to deal with virus issues and reformatting pc's so I want something decent that can do a comparable job to Norton.

Any happy users of other AV products out there?

I started using AVG by Grisoft a couple of years ago.

Works just fine for me.

The main reason I choose it over many others was that it has a free version and that it doesn't kill your system when it's not doing a scan.

I found that Norton, McAfee and others tended to use quite a bit of resources just waiting for something to do.

AVG is currently running 4 processes on my machine, which are using a total of less than 4mb of ram. I'd consider that acceptable.

Worth a look!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Indy, AVG was my first thought as I knew they were freeware (which apparently is ending in Jan). After a bit of searching I found several reports of it missing some very basic infections which has me concerned. Wish I could find some product reviews testing against a certain amount of infections from a trusted source.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I've tried Norton, AVG, Zone Alarm, McAfee, Avast, and Avira. Presently I function with Avira AntiVir Personal Edition and Windows Defender. Both can be obtained for free:
http://www.free-av.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx (Requires a valid copy of Windows)

Both programs update daily and I never had any problems with them and I do visit lots of websites for cracked software and games which contain enormous quantities of spyware and viruses. Ironically, Norton is the one I hate the most. It takes up lots of power from the PC and allows access to viruses. I've went through lots of formating with Norton. Avast is pretty good too, but Avira is excellent.

Hope this helped :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
Indy, AVG was my first thought as I knew they were freeware (which apparently is ending in Jan). After a bit of searching I found several reports of it missing some very basic infections which has me concerned. Wish I could find some product reviews testing against a certain amount of infections from a trusted source.

What you read about the free version ending in Jan is a miscommunication.. version 7.1Free is ending in Jan. the new version 7.5 is still free, and will be available.

I've never had it miss anything, and I am far from a careful internet user.

Plus I use it on a corp network that I manage, with users who don't know jack about being careful.

Not a single infection in 2 years.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm looking for recommendations to replace my Norton AV.
Simple. OS-X

:p

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have used the free AGV as well for 3-4 years now with no problems.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
We have used AVGFree in our office for the last two years and have had no problems with it.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I use Stop Sign from eAcceleration. I switched to them when I switched to Mozilla. Between the Norton joke AV protection and IE, my machine had a couple of real nasty viruses/problems. Stop Sign is not free, but it has also found viruses that totally got by my Norton AV software. Machine has been free from viruses/pop-ups/spyware for a couple of years now

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I have trend micro and like it. I tried several times to download the the free AVG. But everytime I tried to install it, the pc said it was corrupted and to get a fresh copy. :(

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the different leads fellas, a couple of products that I hadn't even heard of before. I'll have to start doing some more research and make a decision within the next week before my Norton expires.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
ClamWin Free AntiVirus. The database gets updated daily and the program runs a full scan every day.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Pretty sure no matter what you end up using...it'll find stuff that some others may not...and let other things go by that others would not..

On a related note I myself have made the virus free claim before and have thought about that statement enough to realize that what a person really means is that they can't find any virus's and their AV program doesn't find them. Not quite the same as positively not having a virus.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom