Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
My brother-in-law is planning on learning how to play the drums sometime in the next few weeks. He's looking into a small-to-decent sized digital set (with the pads, cymbals, a rack, etc). The problem is that neither of us knows anything about these set-ups. He's checking sites and seems to be finding Yamaha and Roland sets, but is not sure what to look for. I've got a few questions for the drummers out there?

-Is there a certain brand that he should either look for or stay away from?

-Do the digital sets require a "brain" or computer of any kind to get the sound into an amp and or headphone jack?

-Any thoughts on what price he should be looking at for somthing like this? He doesn't need a pro set, just something to learn on and grow with. Possibly something like 4 pads and three cymbals.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
You can pick up the old roland TD5 kits on that auction site fairly cheap. They come with a basic module with several pretty good sounding kits. I believe they have like 7 pads which would give you a pretty basic set up. Or you can pick up one of these. http://www.zzounds.com/item--IONIED01 but I know nothing about them. I have seen mixed reviews on it. For that price though, it is probably worth a shot. Alesis makes some great modules that you can pick up pretty cheap like the D4 or the DM5 and then find some trigger pads. If it were me, I would go for a good module like that and then upgrade the pads later. Or get a live kit and you can still use the module to trigger them.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'd buy whatever the Babaganoosh Experience rocks out with. :)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I have a sweet Mapex acoustic set. No electronics for me. I used to trigger them but that has it's give and takes. But thanks Greeny. Keep on the look out early next year for the new CD, "The Jamir Babaganoosh Experience and Friend perform hits from ABBA to Zappa" It will be a quadruple cd packaged with 7 DVDs that document the entire Experience from it's meager conception in the back of a small town bait shop to it's meteoric rise to the top of the funkometalfolk charts. And many in depth interviews with the 97 current and former members. It also comes with an authentic replica pair of Fireplace Panties and the 45 record single of the song, Fireplace Panties.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Kawidude said:
My brother-in-law is planning on learning how to play the drums sometime in the next few weeks.

it would probably be a good idea to tell him that it will take more than a few weeks. :debil:

it's obvious i've been out of drumming for 20+ years. i barely have a clue what you guys are talking about.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
LMAO WT! :rotfl:

Keep on the look out early next year for the new CD, "The Jamir Babaganoosh Experience and Friend perform hits from ABBA to Zappa" It will be a quadruple cd packaged with 7 DVDs that document the entire Experience from it's meager conception in the back of a small town bait shop to it's meteoric rise to the top of the funkometalfolk charts. And many in depth interviews with the 97 current and former members. It also comes with an authentic replica pair of Fireplace Panties and the 45 record single of the song, Fireplace Panties.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
mx547 said:
it would probably be a good idea to tell him that it will take more than a few weeks. :debil:

it's obvious i've been out of drumming for 20+ years. i barely have a clue what you guys are talking about.

indeed. Sometimes it takes up to a month.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
thunder33 said:
indeed. Sometimes it takes up to a month.

My brother-in-law already drools quite a bit, so he's got a head-start on the drumming skills. :aj:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Oh yeah, I just found out he got the Ion kit for a little over $200. He figured it will be a good starting point to bang on. Thanks for the tips/jokes everyone!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
A different take on the earlier joke....

-How can you tell when the stage is perfectly level?

There's drool coming from both sides of the drummer's mouth.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
what do you call a guy who hangs out with 3 musicians?

a drummer

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
What do you call that weird lump in that passenger seat of a stripper's car?

a drummer

Top Bottom