I need a riding buddy and my 8 1/2 y.o. wants to join me! What bike to choose?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
My youngest son Jason wants to head off to the trails with me and I'd love to have him out there. He's been following me on our mountain bikes, and getting some air off a few of the hills, keeping up with me until I'm winded from pedaling.

So I've been looking, but haven't found the "right bike" yet. When I asked him what he wanted, he said that he wanted a Yamaha WR500 just like mine, only smaller :whoa: I replied that it would be better if we found something a bit tamer, because he's new and never ridden a motorcycle before, but that I appreciated his enthusiasm.

...Then I found a '94 YZ80 with fresh engine for $500. It looks darned near like a miniature WR500. I don't know if he fits it yet, because it's a 33 inch seat height. However I *think* seat height is when the machine is unloaded. Jason's inseam is about 25 inches. Is the YZ80 too much of a firecracker for a kid's first bike, or would afternoons of trail riding tame it enough that he could get a handle on it, and grow into it? ...or should I get a used Honda XR80 or XR100? Whatever I get, it'll probably be 10 to 15 years old.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
4-foot 7, about 80 pounds.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I imitate my dad, who is moderate, not too crazy, and really, really old. (He's 44, like the magnum.)

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
MX track, and Michigan motorcycle trail through woods

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No, just bicycle.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Not if my mom can help it, but I do want to try riding an indoor motocross course some day.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Oh yeah!!

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Two-stroke, like Dad has.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Groves Motorsports in mason, MI: Honda, Suzuki, but unfortunately not Yamaha

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Dad's going to spend $500 to $750 and another $350 on safety gear.

10) Do you live in California?
Thankfully, no.

11) Your age?
8 1/2, I turn 9 in November.

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion:

My dad filled this out. I'm in third grade, I have a first-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I am wiry and thin, and like to run everywhere because walking is probably boring and slow.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I have a friend whose boy is that age and he has a KX65, that is a perfect bike for him. We are fixing to move my son to one as well. It is a good bike and will last for several years depending on how serious you are getting. An 80 may be a bit too much for a starter bike.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Yeah, the YZ80 looks awesome, but in second thought, I think it would be way too feisty to make for a fun first riding experience.

I'm thinking an XR80/XR100 or maybe "just maybe", the KX60 or KX65 would be a better choice. I wish I knew someone local who had one that Jason could try out, so that we could see how he does with it.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
The XR80 would be a great woods and starter bike. My boy has a CRF50 that we put an 88cc motor in and it has been great. The XR100 may be a bit big for an 8 year old, the seat is pretty high. If he gets to liking the track then the XR will get old very fast.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Go with the XR80 or XR100...depending on seat height. They are bullet proof and will run forever..unlike the smokers that will need a rebuild every so often.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
There's a CRF80 in the Toledo, OH area for $900, but he claims it's got 150 hours of operation on it, and has had one re-ring of the motor. I'm thinkin' of looking at it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If he's tall enough a XR80 would be a great choice. Easy to ride and should keep him from too much trouble. There's plenty of time to get on a 2 stroke, the plan should be to start out easy so that kid & mom are both comfortable. A PW80 is another option or even a little TTR, it all depends on what you find for the budget and how it fits the rider.

Top Bottom