rustychaplin

Jun 11, 2009
1) YOUR PHYSICAL SIZE (BOTH HEIGHT AND WEIGHT ARE IMPORTANT)
6' 5" 230lbs
2) HOW PHYSICAL / AGGRESSIVE ARE YOU ?
Very physical, mildly aroused (joke)
3) WHAT DO YOU PLAN TO RIDE- MX/SX TRACKS, WOODS, FIELDS WITH FRIENDS OR ?????
The deserts of Joshua Tree and The Antelope Valley
4) DO YOU HAVE ANY RIDING EXPERIENCE?
Very limited, toyed around with some ancient Yamaha 80s
5) DO YOU THINK YOU WILL RACE ?
Nope
6) ARE YOU MECHANICALLY INCLINED AND WILL YOU BE DOING YOUR OWN BIKE WORK?
Mechanically inclined, but lazy as ****; so, that would be a no
7) DO YOU HAVE A PREFERANCE TO A BRAND/ MOTOR CHOICE (2 OR 4 STROKE)?
Always wanted a Kawasaki, but let's be honest I'm a sucker for neon green. I really just want to know what's good, and what is not. KTM, Sazuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Honda it doesn't matter
8) DO YOU HAVE A DEALER CLOSE BY YOUR HOME THAT YOU MIGHT USE AND WHAT BRAND(S) DOES HE CARRY?
They carry KTM, Kawasaki, Sazuki, Yamaha, and Honda
9) HOW MUCH ($) DO YOU PLAN TO SPEND ON A BIKE?
4000-6000
10) DO YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA?
Yes
11) YOUR AGE?
12) ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU THINK WOULD HELP FORM AN OPINION
Any information about Green stickers would help, I heard you can't ride all year long unless it has a green sticker. Also, does anyone know if the YZ250f is any good?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That is a tough one. Considering your size, anything less than a 250 would be too small. Considering your limited riding experience, a 450 may be too much power for you to handle. You probably need to test ride some friends bikes before you go drop $6K on a new bike to understand what feels right for you. If you are lazy and dont like maintenance, you might want to find another hobby. However, 2 strokes are much lower maintenance than new generation 4 strokes. I am not an expert on the stickers because I live in TX. Someone from CA would need to comment on that topic. There are threads on this site about the stickers you can search.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Here is a web site that provides some details about the red/green stickers:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

The YZ250F is a great bike! Unfortunately, it is also a red sticker bike so it could really limit your riding season, at least to be legal. In many of the desert riding areas you can get away with riding with no sticker at all but there is always the chance that you will get caught. Many of the riding areas have no access control and very little ranger patrols.

There are some riding areas, however, that require you to enter past a ranger kiosk and you won't even get a bike into the area that doesn't have the proper sticker.

Note that if you buy a bike that is a 2002 or older it will be "grandfathered" into a green sticker.

I highly recommend that the bike have some sort of sticker and legal pink slip. I have managed to register two bikes that had never been properly registered in California and I can tell you that it is a real PITA, requiring several trips to DMV and at least one to the CHP, with the bike. If you buy new the dealer should take care of everything, if you are buying used then a pink slip is worth extra $$$

Rod

Top Bottom