Any Suggestions for Commuter Vehicle?

B

biglou

Been tossing around the idea of picking up an el cheapo compact commuter vehicle to save some wear and tear and depreciation on the truck. Any suggestions? I've seen plenty of Nissan Sentras for $2k or less, but I don't know what kind of mileage they get. I think it would take a solid 40 MPG to get me to drop coin. I figure I spend about $1500/yr on fuel for the Ford, and it gets 20MPG with about 80% of my driving on the hiway. That would save me roughly $750/yr in gas, not to mention the cost per mile of operating the larger vehicle. Any suggestions? Also, we're talking four wheels here, not two. I'm skeered enough driving with these crazy bastages in a full-size pickup. (<---that was for you, Pred. :moon: )

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My wife and I have always had good luck with Hondas. Shes had 2 Civics and her current Accord. Nothing wrong with the Civics. We just stepped up for comfort and conveniences.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I've had good luck with Hondas (two Civics) and a Toyota (4Runner). The durability of both impressed me. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either of them again.

Of course, you could find something new that matches your bike. I can just picture "Big" Lou in this tiny thing... (hey, custom plates too!)

Attachments

• lousaveo.jpg
    lousaveo.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 31

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would go the honda route. You can even get a one of those cool fart can mufflers :eek: Actually my bro had 92 Acra interga. Got good gas mileage. It was a realy fun car to drive beleive it or not. Handled great and had a nice sun roof.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It's going to save you $750 per year...but how much is insurance going to cost you?

BTW, Darby just bought an old VW Rabbit...with a 1.6L Diesel...and 430,000 miles....for $100. He's driving the wheels off of it. It's getting 44 mpg!! We're all taking bets as to when he will put a hitch on it and start pulling his CRF with it. :laugh:

Hang on a minute...........you've put how much into your BRAND NEW YZ450F......and you're worried about a couple hundred $$ worth of gas money? C'mon Lou! :think:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
A friend of mine had a Saturn in HS and even though it's a boring looking car, they are pretty cool to drive. If you're only buying it as a 'point A - point B' car then the stigma of being a chick car shouldn't matter. :) hehe

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I'll second that Saturn recommendation. I was getting 30+ MPG on a regular basis, in a '94 SL2 with 190,000 miles on it. And that was when I was driving 160 miles a day. Go with the "2" option (SC2 or SL2), it has a quicker motor for merging traffic situations, and doesn't cost you much in fuel economy.
Somewhat noisy engine, and not a lot of "extras", but can't beat it for reliability.

B

biglou

Yeah, I was talking about a serious beater, really used. I should have mentioned that. 91 Nissan Sentra, $1200. That's what I'm talking about. Insurance? Beans for liability on something like that. I'll save $750 in gas alone. Anyone care to guesstimate what the operating cost per mile is for a full size pickup? Not just gas, but all the depreciaton, wear and tear, tires, etc. that adds up per mile. It's roughly 35 cents/per for your average car, so I'm guessing it's a bit more for the truck. Oh, and I'd be able to drop my miles driven daily on the truck to my insurance agent, too. That affects the price of the ins.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Have you thought of finding a beater toyota or Nissan or even a Datsun pick-up?? SOmething that in a pinch, you could haul you bike in??
Rick

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Chick Magnet???

Attachments

• BigLou's New Ride.jpg
    BigLou's New Ride.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 32

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Aw, c'mon. I can see Lou driving that X90 at 43.5 mph in a 50 mph zone.

Quite a dashing image actually.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Lou,
We had a 90' Honda Civic! 120,000 and only changed the oil and brakes! Low 30's for ,mileage!
I also had a VW Jetta Dielsel, 40-45 mpg, if you have any hills though, you'll be down to 45 and getting passed by the truckers!! The jetta though lost compresion in on cylinder and wouldn't start in the winter, was more to fix it then I paid for the car!

Both cars were great, the VW had about 200 on it when she went TU! Both were front wheel drive and both di great in the snow. The VW you can swap parts from the Rabbit, and some front end parts of a Scirocco.
But the Honda was just plain better!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hey, I got an idea . . . walk to work!

(this from the guy who's walk is quicker than his drive, but still drives :|)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
CAL said:
Hang on a minute...........you've put how much into your BRAND NEW YZ450F......and you're worried about a couple hundred $$ worth of gas money? C'mon Lou! :think:

quote of the week!!! :worship:

Top Bottom