Any tips for re-attatching radiator hoses?

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
it took me almost 2 hours to get the hoses off to have my radiator worked on by Mylers. I can only imagine what its going to take to get the things back on..any suggestions like grease or anything to get the hoses back onto my radiator off of my 2003 CR250?

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
yeah I barely crashed on Sunday, not even enough to break the radiator shrouds, but I bent my radiator pretty bad. I just purchased some Works Connection radiator braces to hopefully that will help..about the WD-40 is it bad if a lot gets into the hose and into the radiator? Thats my biggest worry is if I spray some around the edge of the hose that it would run down into the tube and find its way into the radiator. The hoses are practically brand new so that might be a reason why they are so tight.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
reason you fought for 2 hours is those bad boys seem to glue themselves on there....TIP for next time...grab some channel locks - and GENTLY and I mean GENTLY grab the end of the hose where it meets the radiator and twist it - it doesn't take much to break that glue like seal and they will come right off.....WARNING - if you squeeze too hard you can crush the opening of the radiator where the hose connects - its aluminum and aluminum is SOFT so take it easy!!!!

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
next time you put the hoses on rub some petrolem jelly where they fit on to the radiator. It will be alot easier to get off next time. It is also easier to get on also. An old indian trick.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
BTW, if you can find silicone hoses that fit the application, they are always easy to remove.

Chris

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I spray windex on my hoses and then slide them on. The windex makes them slippery enough to slide on, and evaporates so there is no slippery film left on the hoses afterwards to make them slip off.

jammin-johnny

Feb 23, 2004
you can spray some crc brand brake parts cleaner into the hose which will allow it to slip right on and then dries immediately. It shouldn't hurt the rubber, and when it dries it helps them seal again. The same holds true for removing/installing hand grips, well as long as you don't spray it on fresh glue.

Firewalker

Aug 10, 2003
on rad hoses i am a firm believer in spit. it seams to work better than water and i am not to excited about adding chemicals (wd-40, brake cleaner, ect) to my cooling system.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I use dish detergent. Drip some on my fingers and just wet the inner end of the hose. They slide right on. Next time, they will slide right off.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I've had the same problem. To remove the hose, I use a very fine small screwdriver, bent at a 90 degree angle and wiggle it between the hose and the tube. Comes off very easily.
To install dip the end of the hose in hot water first.

Top Bottom