Any Toyota Tacoma double cab owners here?

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Just bought a 2002 Tacoma double cab 4x4 and havent tried to fit the cr250 in it yet, just by the eye it looks like it would fit with the rear wheel of my bike on the rear of the tail gate. Anybody know for sure? And does anyone know the weight limit of the tail-gate? I looked in the owners manual and no mention of capacity.

Thanks
Todd

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I had a 2001 Double Cab. My KTM 300exc fit with rear tire on tailgate. I loaded the bike witha ramp on the tailgate. The Bike and I have total weight of 500lbs. I never had problems over 3 years. :cool:

edit:

Actually, not that I think about it, the first year I had a Honda XL600 for a combined weight of 580lbs.

snobdrbutch

Damn Yankees
Sep 22, 2005
i got an 04 tacoma dbl cab and i put my 99 cr in it with a ramp and it fits just perfect with the tire at the edge of the tailgate. i just took a 2x6 and a peice if alluminun and bent it a little and made the total lengnth to be 6 ft and you can put it under the bike acrross the bed sideways and it stays perfect.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Thanks for the replys, The reason I ask is I posted this question on another forum and a lot of people said that the tail-gate will bend/dent from the weight of the bike.

Snob-I'm not sure I'm following you with the 2x6 and aluminum? Are you saying thats your ramp? or some type of bed extender?
Thanks
Todd

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I dont have a tacoma but I cant see a tailgate bending or warping from a little weight, espeically when its will be only a part of the bike, its not like the whole thing is resting on the gate itself. Plus I have tailgated many times and have used tailgates of numorous trucks to sit 3-4 of us

snobdrbutch

Damn Yankees
Sep 22, 2005
no iuse the 2x6 as my ramp. and when i get the bike in i putthe ramp diagonal across the bed under the bike and it fits perfect so that it doesnt move and it actually helps fo hold stuff in the bed like gear bag and boots .

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Thanks for the replys, I didnt realize my bike was so long! I measured it last night and from the front tire to rear tire its approx. 7'3"! The bed on my truck is only 5' with the gate up. I've been trailering my bike but some of the places I ride if it has rained recently a trailer wont make it, looks like I need a ramp and bed rack to keep the front wheel from moving.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
The problem of bending tailgates seems like its a much more common problem on the '05s. Im yet to hear of anyone bending the tailgate on their '06 or '07 Tacoma.
From what I understand, Toyota added some more support girders to the tailgate on the '06 and newer Tacomas to address this concern.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
The more I think about it, I'll probably get on of the hitch carriers and just use the bed for gas cans, camping stuff, etc. Seems like thats the easiest loading which would be nice after a long day on the trails :)

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Ive got a small utility trailer that I use to haul my bike. I could load it with a ramp, but Im not really comfortable loading my bike that way.
If I get more serious into racing I will most likely go all-out and get a nice enclosed 12'-20' trailer. That way Im at the track I can lock my bike and all my gear up in the trailer and not worry about anyone messing with it.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Octane,
I'd like to get an enclosed trailer one day too, I think it would be neat to have a couple of fold-down bunks in it in case I decided to stay at the track another day.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I agree. Ive always wanted to get into MX racing. Im going to try it for a few years on a limited basis (not going to chase points) and if I like it Im going to go all-out and get a nice trailer and chase points.
With the mild winters we have had lately Im losing interest in snowmobiling and trail riding the ATV was too boring, so hopefully MX works out.
If MX doesnt work out I might have to get a sportbike.

Top Bottom