gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I figure there are a few 4x4 folks here, and I have a question.

I just retired my '98 Dodge Ram. It was a regular cab w/a 360 and an anti-spin differential. The thing went everywhere I ever wanted except up a snow and ice covered hill with no run from the bottom. In the winter I put 2-300 lbs of sandbags back at the tail gate.

The only other real challenge I gave it was going up a muddy logging trail in the WV mountains. When we went there I had bikes and gear in the back. None of the other regulars could believe it made it to the top.

The new ride is an '06 Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7. It's a 4x4 without an anti spin rear. I've never had a 4x4 and I hate the fact that it's basically a one wheel drive until it's locked in and then it's only two wheel. You know.... none of the diffs are lockers. I have no intention to do any 'offroading'. (Easy to say that now.)

Do you think adding an anti spin is a good idea or a waste of money?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
If you don't intend to go off road I think you will be OK. It is a bit of a pain having such a loose rear end on the streets sometimes I agree. I have a Nissan Frontier which has active brake limited slip, applies the brakes to the spinning wheel. It still peels out alot on wet roads. But when I'm in 4X4 mode it's great in the snow. I've done some extensive testing in the blizzards we have had, including this morning!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I had a '97 Ram extended cab 2x4 (318ci) with the limited slip rear end. I special ordered it with that option as I thought it would help in the snow. It still gave me troubles when the roads were real bad as I live in a real hilly area that gets a good amount of snow. I never had any trouble with it off road in summer though.

Now I drive an F150 4x4 without the LS rear end. It is 100% better than the Ram off road or in the snow.....or both! In '05 we got 18" of snow one night during dear season. We had a ball the next day cruising two-trackers through that fresh snow and never had a bit of trouble. My old 2x4 Ram would have never made it.

The Ram did get better gas mileage though, 16mpg vs. 13mpg.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Bah! Unless it's got 2 axles, it's a 4x4 wannabe! :p

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
You mean like running a couple of spools? Yeah, that would do it! Tire wear be damned!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My F250 had the LS diff (diesel) and it worked very well in most situations like your old Dodge. My new truck is a F150 SuperCrew 4x4 and I was very selective in the trucks I considered as they had to have the 3.73 LS because I have been in situations where 4x4 was not quite enough with my '95 Bronco. I think since your new ride doesn't have it I'd drive it a while and see if it's an issue. If it happens to come up once you might consider adding it, if it happens a few time then I'd do it for sure.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
Bah! Unless it's got 2 axles, it's a 4x4 wannabe! :p
I used to think that as well, then I drove a few different IFS versions and learned better. Unless you are a serious offroader I think the better handeling & ride offred by the IFS options more than covers any inadequacy of not having solid front axle.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Patman said:
I used to think that as well, then I drove a few different IFS versions and learned better. Unless you are a serious offroader I think the better handeling & ride offred by the IFS options more than covers any inadequacy of not having solid front axle.
Now that he owns a IFS "4x4" .. hehe.

No doubt, they ride better, if nothing else. I actually like the ride of the 250, but then again, I don't have to drive it cross country, or even every day for that matter. My previous F150 (2000) was a caddy ride for sure. I REALLY like the new 150's and have been tempted to get one, bt dang, the thought of no car payment is just too strong.

Unless you are a serious offroader
Or if you plan to lift it at all ... Soon as mine is paid off (5 months), I'll start saving for the lift (no more than 6") Yeah, "red neck" comes to mind, but hey.. :laugh:

DSG-1

Apr 24, 2002
I have a 01 Dakota 4wd with limited slip rear, I love the fact that I rarely use 4wd, I think you would enjoy the addition of the limited slip rear on the Snowy roads. Plus added traction when in fourwheel drive if you would decide to do a little off roading, Just my $0.02 though, Hope this helped....Dave

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm kinda inclined to use Patman's line of thought. Use it for a while and then decide. The only drawback to that is the price you might pay for that first failure to perform. So far, I'm pretty unimpressed and I'm just dealing with a good snowfall and one week's ownership.

What do you mean by IFS? Independent front suspension?

As for the exact type of diff, that will take some more research. Lots of options there.

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
If its a daily driver a Detroit would be a costly overkill because it replaces the carrier. You would be better of with a "lunchbox" locker that will just replace you spider gears. The best option is to put a locker or limited slip in the front if your only going to run one.That option only works if you have lockouts on the front though, if no lockouts you'll still get quirky handling. The air or selectable lockers are even more costly than a Detroit. An ARB and your looking at about $2000, or the OX locker is selectable by a cable and its only about $1800.
Patman's right. Stock for stock IFS is great. Its only when you add bigger tires and lockers with off-roading that a Solid axle shines.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i would at least consider a limited slip type in the rear axle
i have a 97 f150 4x4 that has 35's on it and a open differential
and i hate the fact that only 1 wheel spins
i am always risking gettting stuck in the sand and mud down here with it(4 wheel drive is broken) it wouldnt be half as bad if i had limited slip

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
XRpredator said:
crim, if you really want to have it both ways, you could always go for something along the lines of the air lockers.

http://www.arbusa.com/air_locker.php

I agree with Pred. If you've got the $$$, an ARB airlocker system is the way to go. That's top of the line.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I kinda like the idea of the lunchbox lockers. But are they suitable for a daily driver? Any push in the corners or excessive noise?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
gwcrim said:
I kinda like the idea of the lunchbox lockers. But are they suitable for a daily driver? Any push in the corners or excessive noise?
I understand they do make a little noise since it is not a friction material lockup. If money was not an issue I for sure go ARB AirLocker also.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
An occasional pop isn't a big deal. My old truck did that too. So it pretty much acts like any other LS rear then?

If I was doing this for sport, I might consider dropping bucks on it. I just don't want to have to put it in 4wd to back out of my garage when there's snow on the ground.

I used to have a spool in my Challenger. Man, that was a b!tch to drive around town.

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
With the lunchbox you wont notice it as much with a fullsize truck. I have ran these in many Cj's from CJ-5's(84"wheel base) to CJ-8's(104" wheelbase). The shorter the wheel base the more noticable. They are a little more agressive than a LS so you do get some "popping" sounds. You really dont notice it unless your in a parking lot or going slow through a neighberhood.
With selectable lockers theres upkeep also. With the lunchbox you put it in and forget about it. You can do it yourself even with basic mechanical skills and you can take it out when you resell your truck.
An ARB in a daily driver is like a race motor needing 114octane for a trail bike.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
the term "4X4" is often misunderstood to mean a type of drive train on a vehicle. a farmer friend told me years ago it truely was a symbol of farm work habits.

4 weeks in the spring.

4 weeks in the fall.

hence the term 4x4.

little history note.

wardy

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
I belong to a club of Mitsubishi Montero owners...some of the guys are running 37"s on their IFS, and you don't want to know how many/often they're pulling solid axle guys out. :) Even with my little 33s, and only 2" of lift (torsion bars), I've pulled out lots of Jeeps. Monty's came with lockers from the factory since waaay back...LSD too. I enjoy taking a rig that most consider a mall cruiser, and cleaning obstacles that no one thinks I can make.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
since I got out of snowmobiling, I switched to a 2 wheel drive, and no regrets. Cheaper, better acceleration (as long as there is traction which is 99% of the time), better mileage, etc. I don't doubt that most of you guys talking 4wd actually use it, and it can be fun to have if you like to go off road especially.

...but there are a lot of folks that think they need it but actually go years not even switching it on. In fact it's getting hard to even find a 2wd truck around here, yet the roads are only bad a couple of days per year. You can buy 4x4 stickers pretty cheap. :)

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
motometal said:
since I got out of snowmobiling, I switched to a 2 wheel drive, and no regrets. Cheaper, better acceleration (as long as there is traction which is 99% of the time), better mileage, etc. I don't doubt that most of you guys talking 4wd actually use it, and it can be fun to have if you like to go off road especially.

...but there are a lot of folks that think they need it but actually go years not even switching it on. In fact it's getting hard to even find a 2wd truck around here, yet the roads are only bad a couple of days per year. You can buy 4x4 stickers pretty cheap. :)

I agree with you, all i have owned for a few years is 4x4 trucks. Sure its nice to have when your going through the farm fields and the occasional rescue the stuck friend mission.

But i really don't need it and just ended up buying a 1990 chevy 1500 2wd with 60,000 miles on it for 200$. Ive had it a few months now and haven't even needed the 4wd yet. Even with these horrible storms we have been having the last couple of weeks still no need for it.

Top Bottom