Anybody around here ride through the winter?

KDX_Mad

Jul 18, 2001
Anybody around here ride through the winter? I'm in Monroe, NY(Orange County). Singletrack, doubletrack, fireroads, or just freeriding through the woods planing another good piece of technical singletrack. I don't care if it's my turf or yours, just want to try to get out and ride approximately once a week. I've got a 4 mile loop of single track plus there's plenty of double track, fireroads, and wide powerline roads that run for miles. If your within approximately an hours drive(you can check by going to http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp , enter your hometown and state to my hometown and state and the driving time will be at the bottom of the directions) just reply or email me if your interested. Tom@SpeedyGate.Com

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Not sure where Monroe or Orange County is. I'm up near Schenectady and know several people who (claim to) ride year round. Most of them use studded tires (primarily Trelleborg's) in the winter. Myself, I'll be sticking close to home (pregnant spouse) and do some ice racing at Warner's Lake over near Altamont... if it ever gets cold enough. :think

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Tom- Im clear to go as soon as the holidays pass, and things settle down. Keep those trails open, Im on the way!!!
I'll PM you as soon as I can get away. ;)

WoodsRider- Monroe is off of NYS Thruway around exit 16, Harriman. You might as well be in Canada, hey!?!?! :eek: :)

Go ahead, let er rip!!!

" At least I have someplace to ride!"

I can hear it already!!! DOOOH!!!!

midana86

Dec 25, 2001
Winter riding....

what's winter riding? A little bit of white stuff. Stud your tires and I don't mean Trelleborg.Take an old tire, drill 3/8 holes in every stud. Go to your local hardware store. Buy quarter twenty 1-1/2" long carriage bolts. Push them through from the inside out,washer and nut them then weld. Talk about traction! Can ride wheelies in three foot of snow. (Make sure you have atleast 15 pounds in tire so it doesn't puncture the tube). Live in Warren County PA. Not sure if that is close but I am definately riding this weekend!!:p

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Most of the hardcore riders around here ride all winter in the slop. As a matter of fact, News Years day is the next ride for me. We get a lot of rain here in the lower elevations but you can't let that stop you or you wouldn't ride for 6 months out of the year. The eastern desert stuff is great if you have grip heaters.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Wayneo - Get yourself some ice screws! The lakes are frozen over and it's getting thick. First race is scheduled for this Sunday, but I'm still waiting for my new wheel. :(

pursang262

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2000
Do you have a phone # or directions to Warner lake? I raced there once a few years ago but someone else drove.I think it's about 3 hours frome here, but if you have good ice and we don't I'll drive there.Thanks.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001

too true! and you gotta love those grip heaters- they're the best thing on my bike right now ;)

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
You can ride all winter long in the Denver area at the local MX tracks. As long as there is no snow on the ground the tracks will remain open. CO winters are very mild. Except for the freak snow storm the dumps a foot of snow, the usual snow around here is 1 - 3 inches and it will melt within a day or two in the open sun.

Then every once in a while, when we get a week of high 60's in Jan, you get to ride up at Rampart in the slush and snow.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That's funny, I thought you asked if we ride all winter??!!
:):):):)
Elk

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…