Anybody racing a kdx these days?

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I sold my '97 kdx200 a few months ago and wish I hadn't. I'm tempted to pick up another one for casual enduro riding (c level). REALLY tempted by the price. Is anyone still racing their kdx? My only concern is the soft fork. What have you done about the fork? I weigh 145 and found the stock fork acceptable for casual trail riding but a little "slow" when pushing it

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
KDX's make great enduro bikes.Great for the "C" class rider. I haven't raced in a few years but there was a lot of them in the ECEA events. I would imagine they're may be fewer cause in the last few years bikes have gotten better, but the KDX hasn't changed much.

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
i have run a few enduro's the last few years. my kdx is fantastic in the super-tight sections. i think it is a great bike for it, except... when i get behind on time and start pushing hard, the weakness of the suspension shows. especially in the whooped out sections. however, i'm not serious enough about raceing to justify the expense of upgrading the suspension.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have been racing the same bike, a 1989-KDX 200, since 1992. In 1993 I was thrown into the A class after overall-ing the B class hare-scrambles. So in 1993 I put that motor in a 1991 KX125 chassis. Then in 1995 I took that same motor to Jeff and had him make me a Fredette replica. That bike has been indestructible and fast, real fast! Light too. Now that I am ready for the super senior class it is time to move on. My new bike is a 2004 Gas Gas 300, as far as the 200 it will always be in the garage ready to go to the next race. To bad Kawasaki doesn’t update it one last time before it goes away. Any way just get some heaver springs, or go hog wild and get a KX125 chassis.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999

I am, and I'm not a C rider either. I don't get to race very much, but i do ok when I do race. i rode one race this year and finished 2nd in 200B.

Last year, I rode two national enduros, trophied at one and finished 9th 200B for the year with just two scores.

BTW, I giggle myself silly everytime I roll up and holler for someone on a KTM to get out of my way.

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I've been torn between getting another kdx or looking for a used '03-'04 wr250 (e-start). I think I've settled on the fact that I'll be looking for another kdx. The wrs go for $3200-$4000 and a used kdx can be had for $1500-$2500 depending on year and condition (I'm talking '96 and newer). With SOME of the extra $$, I can add the gnarly pipe and turbine core silencer and handguards like I had on the old one. Then some new springs and ride the hell out of it. Or I may find one with the extras on it? That's a FRACTION of the cost of setting up the wr since I would have to use spacers in the suspension b/c of the 39.4" seat<--WTF?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Timr said:
BTW, I giggle myself silly everytime I roll up and holler for someone on a KTM to get out of my way.

Uhm, I giggle myself silly too when a guy on a KDX rolls up on me...waiting for me to get out of the way. :rotfl:

All kidding aside, there are quite a few A riders out there on KDXes.
97% rider 3% bike or something like that, but don't tell my wife about that theory....

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
Jeff

Check out Dirt Rider Mag this month. KDX featured twice in the 6 days Poland Enduro. "Mr. Reliable" Jeff Fredette won silver and finished his 24th straight "six days" aboard a trusty (mostly) stock KDX220. No hybrid here - just the basics. I'm sure it was ported and had a front end job by Mr. Reliable himself. That should give those in doubt an idea of the capabilities and reliability of the KDX200/220. Maybe it is 95% rider, 5% bike. Still gotta go for six days though. Not often you'll see a KDX in Dirt Rider or any other MX Mag. KDX Kudo's to Jeff.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…