anyone come up with jetting for 225 yet?

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
It's been a while since I've been to this site and I'm wondering if anyone has further dialed in the jetting on there 225. I came up with a pretty good combo but it still needs some fiddling.

kaw Bill

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Hi kaw Bill, I've been away for a while too (from the site, my bike too). I don't remember off-hand exactly what I have in mine, but I'll try. To refresh, my bike is a 200-based 225 with stock carb, DeltaII reed cage, and Pro-Circuit works pipe. I believe that I have a 158 main, 38 pilot, and a CEL in the middle clip position. I would like to try some shims for half clip positions, but I haven't had an opportunity yet.
All told, the bike has run very well on my current jetting setup, but it still needs some work. Besides, as I recall the rest of your package is quite different than mine (pipe, reeds, etc.) so this may be a case of garbage in, garbage out for you.

Lutz

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Finally got mine dialed in for the summer anyway, temps here are 80deg and I ride at sea level.

I use the REV pipe with TCII, boyseen #607, 35mm carb, airbox mod, std timing.

152 main
42 pilot @ 1.5
CCN needle clip #4

I tried a CEK but it was rich at idle and lean at mid throttle.

As you can see I leaned out the pilot and main but really richened the midrange. This setup is almost perfect but I have to run Hitrate octane boost to prevent WOT pinging. BTW Hitrate works much better for me than cam-2.

Since the bike was running more like an MX bike I added a flywheel weight and it helped alot, I can still lift the front wheel on command but the FWW helps prevent wheelspin off idle.

The transition from closed throttle to part throttle was the touhest to dial in so I'm considering the R&B carb mod next.

I also tried the BPR7ES plug and it helped greatly off idle but got a little too hot after long WOT runs so I switched back to the BR8EG.

So what are you guys running?

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Lutz, I'm running pro series reeds, stock carb and the KG35 pipe. Oh, I forgot I'm using the stock needle in the second from the top groove. Like Mac I too am running a 152 main and a 42 pilot but it feels like I may need to go back to a 45. Reguardless of were I have the air screw set it seems to hang up at high idle a little and pop on decell as well. I was a little worried about the pinging thing but pump gas seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the feedback.

kaw Bill

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
CCN needle - hmmm - i may try the CCN as i am currently running the CEK needle in the middle position and seem to be perfect on top (had some per-igntion at first) but am now rich in the low middle.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Whoa there...

Keep in mind that mac's bike seems to have some sort of compression 'issues'....as his 225 had some pinging problems. Note the fuel requirement.

A CCN is 2 clips shorter (1.8mm) than a CEK!!!...and mac is still running @ clip #4!!

Using JDs needle chart..comparing a CEK-3, CEL-3, CCN-4 you see that the CCN is off the chart (richer) at 1/4 throttle and stays higher (difference reduces toward WOT) to the end!

The CEL-3 on the other hand is slightly less rich to 1/4 throttle, which would be leaner in the 'low middle'. Close, anyway if I understand what kelvin is saying.

In any case...if you're rich with a CEK-3, you'll be hatin' life with a CCN!

Mac...what you get for miles on a tank with a CCN? About 20? ;)

...unless I'm missing something. Now THAT would be a first!! :)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
CC, check your chart again. :think:

In CCN the N is the diameter and it's larger than a K which means it's leaner off Idle then a (K) but richer than stock which is (Q).

The second C is the L1 and my bike likes fuel when on the pipe, clip #4 is perfect for me but if it's too rich for you KelvinKDX than just raise the clip to #2 and the length will be closer to what you have now but the off idle will be cleaner due to the larger diameter. Or you could try a CEN-3.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Guys - you are starting to confuse me. I think i ned to get James Deans Excel chart. CC - i too had some pinging problems on top (but i think it may have been a coincidence of BAD gas and the 225 mod). note: i have the RB carb mod. Looks like i may have to get the jetting tuned in at Cooperland.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I use this chart from MXSouth <JET NEEDLES>

Look across the top of the chart and you will see letters A thru Q, these are the diameters which are represented by the third letter.

If we look just at the diameter which affects 0 to 1/4 throttle:
The N in CCN is 2.725
The K in CEK is 2.695
The N has a larger diameter so it's leaner. My bike wouldn't idle with the CEK, too rich.....BUT I hear you have the R&B mod so my jetting wont help you anyway.

I am thinking about the R&B mod so let me know if you get the jetting sorted out.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…