Billy Maze

Oct 8, 2007
Just wondering if braking a chain
could take your leg off, or anything dangerous
like that? :yikes:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've never had one hit me. The two most common results are it binding up and locking the rear wheel and it coming forward and cracking the engine case.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Tree jumper can attest to the broken case from a broken chain. (reference DW 2001)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Only one time.
On a '75 Z1-900
Cracking it when wet really isn't smart.
I skint my leg and my pride.
Ever since that event I have paid more attention to bike chains than most people do.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Well, if it locks up the rear wheel, then there will probably be a bit of pain involved. I have also seen a bent swingarm as a result of a broken chain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
"Cracking it when wet"
Making a sudden and forceful rotation of the throttle, causing violent internal combustions to take place multiple times in super-fast succession, while the traction bearing apparatus is affixed to a surface that has recently been saturated with humidity.

Which could easly lead to "Skint" knees and prides.
Skint, being the past tense of tearing the epidermis from ones appendage, and presented so the boys in N. Texas will have a clue as to what I'm talking about...and so the boys in California will ask questions.

Any questions?

:)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007

:rotfl: :laugh:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
on my mountain bike, the chain was messed, got caught in the rear derailer, when i pedaled it, instead of the chain cycling through the derailer, it just decided to latch onto the derailer and twist up till i snapped of the part of the frame it was attached to. frame rendered useless due to a quarter inch of aluminum

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Billy Maze said:
Just wondering if braking a chain
could take your leg off, or anything dangerous
like that? :yikes:

I broke a primary chain in my flattracker once. It was at a half mile track called Ascot Park in Gardena Ca. I was riding a 750 Triumph twin and at the end of the back straightaway the primary chain broke and locked up the rear wheel. :ohmy: The old Triumphs used a primary chain to connect the clutch to the engine sprocket and we had to change them every 4 to 6 races or they would break. When they did break they would either exit through the front of the cases or jam behind the clutch sprocket and lock up the rear wheel.

Well, at 90+ MPH it really gets your attention. So anyway, I was sliding towards the crash wall with my rear wheel locked up and trying to get the bike stopped before adding another dent in the crash wall. I was about 10 feet from the wall and thought I had better look on my right side to see if there was anyone there. When I looked over my right shoulder, I saw my good friend, Ike Mizen in between me and the wall. His eyes were as big as silver dollars and his arms were stretched straight out in anticipation of hitting the wall. :yikes: By that time, my speed had decreased enough that I was able to steer away from the wall enough to give Ike a little room to squeeze through. We still laugh about that even today. It could have been very ugly had I not seen him there. It would have done a lot more than 'skint his knees'.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…