anyone ever clean an air filter with gas?

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i know you really should not clean an air filter with gas becaue on how flamible it is but someone gave a me a spare twin-air filter that has only been used one time. the person used maxima filter oil on it but i use no-toil, i tried using various cleaners and degreasers on it to get the old filter oil out but it still felt gummy so i used gas and it actually worked. i remember reading on another board that gas can cause the pores in a foam air filter to expand by 20%, do you guys agree with this, the filter looks fine but im not sure if i should take the chance and use it or not, i dont want to allow dust to get into my engine and ruin my valves. what do you guys think?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The filter is made to withstand gas. When it is dryed, you should be good to go with the No-Toil filter oil.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I used gas on filters for many many years and never had a problem with the filters. Switched to No-Toil, though and am very happy with that.

IMO, the big problem with using gas is it is toxic and will absorb through your skin. The fumes are not so good for you either. Plus the low flashpoint.

RACINRAY

Feb 18, 2004
with my filters i first wash it with kerosene to get the oil out then i use simple green to get the rest of the dirt out. my filters always come out looking new with a fresh scent . :cool:

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding guys. i used kerosene first and then purple power cleaner/degreaser immediatly after the kerosene and it felt oily and gummy, so i soaked the in the purple power for a few hours and it still had the oily residue on it so that is when i used the gas, worked great. now i am ready for the no-toil.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Now tell me...what is the point in using No-Toil oil and then using gas to clean it???

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You don't want to use gas on a filter that has been oiled with No Toil oil. It stains the filter.

The way I read it, he cleaned off Maxima filter oil with the gas, so that the filter would be as clean as possible before he switched to the No Toil. He doesn't inted to use gas again, but found that it worked great to get the filter clean.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
i never had a problem using gas. after soaking in gas, i put some dishwashing soap on and rinse it out good. my filters usually last a whole year before they start getting poreous. then i toss and get a new one.

teamfof

Oct 19, 2004
Gas is harsh, but that is why it always works. It ruins filters and ruins your chances of your wife ever letting you wash filters in the sink again. For $25 I'd start over with new filter and only use no-toil and their magic cleaner.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I was not using gas to get No-Toil out of the filter, I was using gas to get the Maxima FFT filter oil out of the filter that was originaly used by friend. My freind had an extra filter from the CRF he used to own and he gave it to me.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Treejumper said:
Your not suppose to use gas? ;) That's all i've used for over 20 years.

30+ and counting. I think the cleaner is way to much $$, for what it costs you might be able to buy a new filter every 6 months. Don't get me wrong - gas is very dangerous, but...

kawi boy

Nov 18, 2004
Use two Stroke gas the oil works with the gas and gets more of the dirt and dust out, i have always used 2 stroke gas and it has never let me down. For me a filter usually lasts about one year.

Halfast816

Mar 21, 2005
Almost thirty years of using gas. The danger factor dropped considerably when I gave up cigar smoking. The only filters I had come apart were well beyond their life expectancy anyway. If you have been in it long enough you have used gas at least once. ;)

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
You can keep using gas as long as you replace your airfilter after about 25 - 30 cleaning. Using Kerosene would work too and it doesn'y wreck your airfilter. An air filter should last you about 50 cleanings using kerosene or factory cleaners. Using gas cuts the amount of the those cleanings in half.

*KISSofDEATH*

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 1, 2006
Gas is the only thing I have ever used. Never had any problems.

Top Bottom