Anyone Have a DVD Recorder/VHS Combo?

B

biglou

I'm wanting to transfer some old VHS tapes to DVD and don't want to pay a video house $10-20 each. Specifically, I'm looking at the cheaper Wal-Mart DVD recorders with built-in VHS that will dub over. Anyone have any experience with these, good or bad?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have a Panasonic I got at Best Buy. It's not one of the bottom of the line, but it works well. My only complaint is the menus and remote are not very intuitive. I hate it when I have to go to the manual to find out how to do something that should be easy.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
How much would one of these set-ups cost? Sounds like a cool idea and a fairly easy way to get tapes converted to DVD.

B

biglou

Can't dub or record anything with the copyright protection built into it, whether its within the unit, or by trying to record it using an external source (playing on another VCR/DVD player and trying to record it on this one). Not sure how it works, but it's all built in electronically/encoded into copyrighted tapes and dvd's.

The unit I'm looking at is under $200. One-button dubbing. Push "go" and let it run. I'm looking to record some 15-18 year old VHS tapes of shows I recorded off TV. I've got some serious nostalgia that can't be bought anywhere or replaced. One of my favorites was seeing "new" car commercials from 1987. OMG! :laugh:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Considered going the PVR route with your PC? A vid card like the ATI all in wonder or what I personally use is a Haupaugge WinTV PVR USB2 model. I prefer that one since we don't have Tivo, it makes my pc a PVR for all the races and anything else I schedule. Will also allow you to capture video from many different sources including a VCR I believe although I have never tried it for that.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
biglou said:
I'm looking to record some 15-18 year old VHS tapes of shows I recorded off TV. I've got some serious nostalgia that can't be bought anywhere or replaced. One of my favorites was seeing "new" car commercials from 1987. OMG! :laugh:

translation, "every episode of Bossum Buddies and the Smurfs"

B

biglou

Actually, lots of Headbanger's Ball from mid 87-the very early 90's. I've got some great archival stuff. Back in the day, MTV used to play music... And a few other odds and ends. It was just so weird seeing the commercials again. Spuds McKenzie, The brand new Dodge Grand Caravan minivan (or whatever) for $10.5k, etc. Serious flashbacks!

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005

Ricky Ractman(sp?)
and the Whitesnake slip-up on the hood of the car !!! :yikes:

Crazy

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
OMG...

Metallica "ONE" video...

I could go on...
I have like two whole tapes of HB but nowhere to be found... :bang: :bang:

Crazy

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I have a Toshiba dual VCR / multi-format DVD recorder (model D-VRW1) that I paid $250 for 6 months ago. Probably cheaper now. Works just fine. Do pay attention to the DVD formats (+/- R, +/-RW, RAM, etc.) that you can record on. I burned some video with my computer's DVD drive that most DVD players will not play, even on other computers. If I was going to buy one now I would buy one with a hard drive so I could edit more easily as I was burning my DVD's. Check the format that your DVD player plays, though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…