Anyone here from Calgary, AB?

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
Just bought a '01 WR250, can't wait for this snow to melt so I can get out there.

I know about MacLean Creek, Waiporous and the Track on Blackfoot. Where else can we ride without being hassled?

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
Hunter Valley, Dutch Creek, Indian Graves, Livingstone Wells, Koocanusa(early season April)

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
A WR 250F - good choice. Did you buy it new or used? I have bought a new KTM 520 about a month ago and we have nothing but cold and snow since. Some guys I know were riding in the Koocanusa area last weekend and conditions were not bad. It is about 3-1/2+ hours to get there but if you are anxious that may be good choice.

The are plenty of good places to ride around southern Alberta as mentioned but if we want to keep what we've got open then play by the rules. Don't give the greenies any more reasons to shut down land. You know the drill - licence, insurance, lights, reasonably quiet baffle w/ spark arrestor and stick to existing trails etc. And try to not leave garbage behind, that is causing problems too.

Enough of the preachin' for now. Good luck with the new bike!

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
BanffBoy, Thanks for the info! I'll have to find out where those places are and check them out. Would you mind giving me a brief description and maybe approximate location of those?

I bought it new from ProAM, $6K

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought all I needed was to register my bike? Do I acually need a license to go offroading?

And no worries about treading lightly, I will take it easy and definatley not mess the trails up.
Thanks

Last edited:

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
Hunter Valley is about 10km north of Waiporous. Dutch creek, Livingstone Wells and Indian Graves are all south of Longview off the 940 Trunk Road. Koocanusa is about 5hrs from Calgary, 1hr S/W of Fernie, closest town is Grassmere. The riding will be really good there for the nest month and then it gets really dusty. I just got back

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
You don't need a license for off road. Just register and insurance(public liability at the very least). The guys at pro-am are good. I just had my WR426 YZ timed there. They do good work

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
You and I are kind of right about the licence. You do need to register your bike and when you do they will give you a licence plate. You are supposed to have it mounted on the bike but in reality if you have your paperwork with you everything should be fine. I just leave my plate in my truck so that if they get picky you can show it to the Rangers.

Hey Banffboy - who were you riding with? I know some guys that were down there last weekend. Cody Matus and a bunch of racing buddies. We have a place at Tie Lake and ride the area around there regularly. My brother in law knows a lot of the trails to the North around Jaffray too.

I've just got the 520 and am looking forward to the hills at Dork Out Rd. Do you know where any large dunes are down there? Cody said he had his paddle on last weekend.

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
Lake Kookanusa ride

Anyone interested in a Lake Kookanusa ride the third week in April (21-22)? I hope to be down that way on that weekend and will be riding in the Dorr Cut area and a couple of other areas nearby. :cool:

Another note about licence and insurance. In BC you need neither. All you need is a bike. Pretty much all crown land is open to riding. A lot of fast fire roads to be found.

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
We had somebody drop by our campsite looking for Cody. I was witih another group from cowtown and some friends from Idaho. I didn't need a paddle tire at the Dorr rd. It should be good there in a couple of weeks, there was still a little frost and snow in the woods last weekend. I hope to go back in the nest couple of weeks, then off to Moab in May!

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
It's a small world. I'm the one who stopped by your camp looking for Cody.

Where is Tie Lake? Probably about 20 minutes away from the Dorr Cut road entrance. From your camp, go back out to hwy 93, go north to hwy3, west for 10 minutes and turn right 1 mile past the Jaffray Sports and Hardware store. This is the Tie Lake road. There is signage on hwy 3 indicating the Tie Lake turnoff. The actual lake is about 3-4 minutes north of hwy 3. There is some great riding to be had behind Tie Lake in the mountains. One trail allows you to ride to the top of the mountain giving you a great view of the area. From there you can almost see to the US border.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Where at koocanusa do you ride? I live 3 hours away from Cranbrook, which isn't too far from koocanusa. Thanks.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Hey Speedy - you can ride along the rive/lake anywhere around the Marina & Bridge. If you have a map look up Dorr Cut Off Rd as well. There are trails all over the area and good hill climbs too. Check out http://pub43.ezboard.com/brustydemonsmotorcycleclub for more info.

Banffboy - when are you heading to Moab? We are heading down May 3rd and will be camping at Goblin Valley and riding the San Rafael Swell area. We were there last year at the end of April for 10 days and rode some incredible terrain in the Swell, south east of Moab and Little Sahara. Maybe we can hook up for a ride. Have you heard of the 5 Miles Of Hell trail?

over...

Last edited:

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
Kwi-Chang-heading to Moab May 10-20, first trip, but I have heard of the 5 miles of hell trail. Check out ruxtonnoble.com this guy is from the area and has lots of trails and pictures on his web site

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Yeah I,ve seen the site about a year ago. Do you have maps of the areas? I have some good ones with the trails marked on them. I also have some awesome helmetcam video too.
If you want to get some copies of the maps and/or check out the video let me know and we can hook up sometime. we are trying to have a pre-ride testing sesion at my place. I have a shop and a small track here so you can fiddle with the bikes and then go for a test ride. I'll let you know when and maybe you could come out and meet the Rusty Demons.

banffboy

Apr 1, 2002
sounds good Kwi-Chang. I think a bunch of us are looking at heading back to Koocanusa on the april 12-13 weekend

May 8, 2000
Huskyboy:

We ran into a number of riders from Canada behind Grasmere last Saturday right near the US/Canada Border and Koocanusa. There were 4 adults and one young fellow in our group and probably about 8 riders from Canada with one mounted on a Husky; might that be you? We are headed back up tomorrow and camping at Loon Lake, if any are around stop by and give a shout.

Tom

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
olddirtbaginmt

I spent the first 8 years of my riding days on Husky's so I have a soft spot for them. Hence the name. Today however, I ride a 2000 KX500.

I was down in the Grasmere area last weekend but not riding, just driving around checking riding conditions and looking for a friend. Hopefully I'll be down that way with the bike this time on the weekend of April 13-14.

I'm curious, what kind of riding is there around Kalispell/Columbia Falls?

May 8, 2000
Huskyboy:

Good riding! Except we do get pushed out of areas each year, but we have several rides with loops where we can get in 60 or more miles in a ride. The group I ride with range from mid 20's to ole fart and there is generally a ride every weekend. If you do get down and like nice challenging single track give me a call. We also make the porcupine race in Southern Alberta each year, if you participate or come out to it look me up. Just ask around for the old Yank!

Tom

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Banffboy et al

There are a few of the Rustyfarians heading down to Koocanusa too on the 12th & 13th. I have a place on Tie Lake and am heading there on Thursday afternoon. Friday I will be working on the new house (B&B) but plan to get a short ride in and another short one on Saturday. Sunday is a day of rest so we will be riding Koocanusa all day. We usually park at the bridge by the Marina and unload and ride from there.

Where are you guys staying at? Where are you planning to ride?

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
Banffboy, thanks for the location info. I drove down to Indian Graves yesterday, (Apr 14). Still a little bit of snow, and it was too windy, I'll go back in a couple weeks. Are there alot of trails there? Hard to tell.

Also, are we only allowed to ride on the South side of the road?

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Good to hear what the conditions were like at I. G. I was at the Koocanusa River/Lake over the weekend and did a little bit of riding. There was snow from about 3200' and above but at the river there was not any at all. The new 520 worked great after some adjustment on the ergos.

At I.G. the riding is all on the south side of the road. There are several places to park but we usually park at the large area just before the bridge. There are a fair # of trails but not much single track there. If you follow the road west and go over 'the hump' you get into the Livingstone area with lots more varied riding.

What kind of riding are you looking for?

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
Well, I'm mostly looking for places close to the city. Where I could actually take off after work on a weekday and still get 3-4 hours of good riding in. So I guess I'm pretty much limited to MacLean Creek and Waiporous?

Woodsy trails would be nice, with a little elevation and some nice views. I'm also looking for some sandy terrain, try that out.

Nothing too crazy, I haven't been on a dirt bike in years.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…