Anyone here from Calgary, AB?

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Maclean Creek & Waiporous are really the only 2 areas close enough for a evening ride. I live south of the city near Okotoks and Indian Graves is about 50 minutes or so for me. There have been a few guys riding at Maclean on wednesday evenings for the past 2 years. It really isn't a problem getting a good 3 hour ride in after work. Maclean is a little rutted out in spots so the best plan is to stay away from the north end parking lot trails. You can get a map for the area from the store that is out there. If you try the trails that are marked 'Motorcycles Only' you will find better riding.

As for sand... I don't know of any places close to Calgary. Koocanusa is the best spot to find soft stuff, but thats a weekend trip. Then there's Idaho. Big dunes at Rexburg - that is a 8-10 hr drive though.

When the big melt is done we'll have to hook up for a ride sometime.

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
MacLean sounds allright, as long as it's not too busy on weekends. Never been there though. But meeting up for a ride would be great.

I did go check out Waiporous, looked nice but it was hard to tell with all the snow.

Too bad we couldn't ride on the Tsu' Tina land! Hahaha!

What about Nordegg, just West of Rocky Mountain House? I heard there are alot of trails there. Ever been?

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
Mclean Creek

Mclean isn't the biggest area around but there still are plenty of trails that few people ride. There is a lot of great single track that I rarely see people on. There are even some dual track that few people know about, evident by how overgrown they are. Even on a busy long weekend, you can ride with never seeing anyone. Just depends what trails you take. To avoid the crowd, stay clear of the north parking area by the campground.

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
I'll do exactly that, thanks for the info.

Saw a couple guys heading out with their bikes on their pickup today, said they were going to MacLean. I told them I thought it was still closed.

Does it open next week?

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Yes close to Butt Out Blvd which is near Hooter Hollow & Stripper St.

The actual name is Dorr Cut Off Rd. Who ever named it wasn't thinking about the naughty nicknames that some of the twisted dirt bikers would contort out of it!

Kwi

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
May 1st, thanks!

Is that when to actual trails open, or the road that leads to the area?

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
never did hit MacLean, but I did find a great spot by "Trochu". 1 1/2 hours NE of Calgary, right on the Red Deer River, part of the Badlands/Canyon that runs through Drumheller.

Just awesome!

Now we just have to wait for this 3 feet of snow to melt.

Important Question;

What if you are from BC, where you don't need Registration or Insurance, and you come to Alberta to ride?

Will you get a ticket and get your bike impounded?

What about Saskatchewan? Does anyone know if you need Registration and Insurance there?

Last edited:

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
A friend of mine brought his bike out from BC last fall. He unofficially sold it to me and it is registered and insured under my name as you need a permanent Alberta address to do this. I've talke to the rangers about the BC thing and it doesn't matter. Everyone needs reg and insurance. They don't care where you are from. They won't impound your bike though. You'll just get a fine. I know of some riders who go without reg and insurance every year and haven't been caught. They just park in "out of the way" places.

Saskatone

Dec 27, 2001
Got my bike Insured and Registered on Friday, so no worries anymore.

Damn, still looking for some places East of the city to ride.

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Just checking to see if there are anymore southern Alberta riders lurking around DRN...Rusty Demons are looking for you!

Kwi, the "poo poo disturber" guy

PS: Forgive me Father for I have bought a big boat and have not been keeping up with my ridin' & writin'

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
We are planning our yearly trip to southern Utah again.
This year it will include a stop in Price, Utah to watch (or race in) the WORCS Pro dirtbike race and also a stop to see the Salt Lake (last race before final in Vegas) AMA Supercross.

Dates are set for around April 17 to 24th.

For more info http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rustydemons/

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…