anyone Know Clutch/Transmissions...???

Bongo4me

Mar 23, 2008
Picked up a 1979 Suzuki PE 175 with a bad crank. Rebuilt the crank and inspected the gears.......Everything looked good,bike was hardly used.Put the engine back together and when I depress the clutch, the bike stays in gear...???.....I do not want to split the crankcase again, so I'm wondering what I could try.......???...Any suggestions would be much appreciated...........Thanks............J

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Try adjusting your clutch, and check the cable.

If that doesn't help, then take the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch basket for grooves.

Bongo4me

Mar 23, 2008
Clutch plates looked good.I can't get the transmission into neutral...???.......Shift forks looked good.???.......All the gears seemed to spin freely when I had the crankcase split. I checked to make sure the shift forks were in the correct spot before putting the crankcase back together.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Are you saying the clutch doesn't work at all, or it bogs and dies when you engage (release) it? I had a similar problem with a DT175, and it ending up being a blocked crankcase pressure release.

Bongo4me

Mar 23, 2008
When I engage the clutch.The bike stays in gear....I can't find neutral on the transmission...I can move the shifter and switch gears but I can't find neutral. Pulling in the clutch doesn't do anything.....bike stays in gear....???...Bike is in the stage of being putback together...With the spark plug out I can spin the rear wheel ,which is in gear........J

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
how about

hte shift lever shaft might be bent? dont know if you checked that probably allready have, i had the same problem on my bike and thats what that turned out to be. pretty simple fix if it is.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
As much as you're probably not going to want to do this, you very likely will have to split the cases again. Go through the tranny and rebuild it with a schematic of it. I know it sucks, but it'll have to be done sooner or later, and any little thing wrong in a constant mesh transmission like that will throw a monkeywrench in the works big time. Good luck :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When you put the shifter shaft back in, did the center of the forks line up with the center of the shift drum boss(star), and was it in neutral? Other wise it will not work properly. Did you remove the shift drum? Are the neutral detentes properly installed? There should be 2 rollers with a spring on each, they hold the drum in the proper position.

Beuford

Feb 23, 2008
Before digging back into the gears, first figure out why the clutch is not dis-engaging.
Im not familure with the "PE", but if the cable enters the engine opposite the clutch side, then maybe you forgot to put the ball bearing back into the shaft with the clutch rod?
Or if the cable is on the same side as the clutch then is that release assembly installed correctly?
Also are the clutch plates in the correct order,number and the correct thickness. All of which could cause the clutch to not release.

Bongo4me

Mar 23, 2008
Thanks all for the suggestions.I'll first take the side cover off and see if the shift drum is aligned properly within the sidecase collar.I'll check the clutch plates to see if everything is installed correctly. We didn't touch the clutch plates or the tranny gears at all. Everything lookedgood.I'll post back on what we find...........J

Bongo4me

Mar 23, 2008
Found the Problem !!.........After splitting the cases......again..............First gear at the end of the countershaft was on backwards.......This caused the gear next to it to engage it.......You can add this to the "Blunder"........Library !!............Thanks again for all your suggestions.............J

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…