Anyone make their own aluminum hand guards?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I tried a search and couldn't find anything. Apparently DIY around here consists of bolting someone else product on ;)

So anyone make their own? Pics, tips?

I have an idea of what I want to do, but it is always good to learn from someone elses mistakes.

Thanks,
Phil

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have seen some home-made ones that seemed to work quite well, but with the availability of some of the cheaper models (around $20 to $40), and the price of aluminum stock, it seems much easier to just purchase them. That said, the mounting hardware isnt the easiest to fabricate, and is usually fairly expensive to buy seperately. A good set of handguards can also be taken from bike to bike, so is more of an investment (I've had my current set for some time now). I dont have a problem making things for my bikes (I've made frame guards and skid plates from aluminum sheet before that turned out nicely), but for the price of bark busters and the necessary hardware, it is easier for me to just buy them.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Hard to find some that will fit on my GF's RT100 with stock bars without huge spacers on the ends of the bars which will hit all the trees 8(

Where can I find $20 metal hand gaurds that fit an RT100 and I will order them right now? Or where are these $20 handguards and I will have a look at modifying them to work instead...

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Oh, crap I just realized this is in the kdx forum. I meant to put it in the modifications forum and put it here by accident.

Can someone move it? Nothing to do with KDX's.

Thanks,
Phil

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
I made my own but i would suggest buying the aluminum mouting hardware and then just buying some aluminum strapping about 1/2" by 1/4". Then i got some plastic from a local stock car builder and then drilled and tapped some holes in the aluminum strapping and bolted the plastic on with four small bolts. This would work good if you bend the aluminum straps while riding because then you can just go home and make some more. Hope this helps. P.S. I would use locktite on all the mounts. I lost one mount because it vibrated the bolt out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…