Are DOT helmets better than Snell???

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I.M.H.O., Sometimes no; sometimes yes.

The key is to define exactly what kind of 'hit' (or, especially multiple 'hits',) that you want the helmet to protect you from. Your question can only be answered when this has been decided on , and clearly defined.

Just like deciding which bike is best. Best for what purpose?

Clearly defining exactly what the impact you are going to use your helmet for is more difficult than it seems at first.

Just my $0.02 worth, KW

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
There's a follow up article to that in this months motorcyclist where Snell has a new set of standards that includes some of the recommendations from that one.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
$0.02 worth taken. However ... who in the world knows what impact you are going to have? You could tip over and smack your helmet into a rock a low speed, or you could slam into a tree WFO in top gear? I go with both. If the helmet does not have Snell and Dot approval, I won't throw it on my grape.

As stated in the article "But crashes are accidents. So you have to guess."

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
One thing to consider is that the dot sticker program is voluntary. That means anyone can put a dot approved sticker on any helmet.

At least with the snell sticker program you know that the helmet meets a set of standards.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004

I personally enjoy the WFO into a tree. Much more exciting than the low speed tip over. I've always used dot+snell approved helmets, and have hit my head on everything except the kitchen sink, and my brain still functions for the most part.... Come to think of it, I did hit my head on the kitchen sink once, but wasn't wearing my helmet so it is not relevant to this conversation! :bang:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I've done the WFO into a tree before.

It isn't fun.

My helmet was fine. My femur was not. :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…