Apr 30, 2007
Dear Mom,

Two weeks ago, I took a fantastic digger while practicing on a new track. It was pretty technical, so I was taking things pretty slowly except for a great midsized tabletop.

I was getting back into the swing of things, having been all winter off, and decided to step it up a notch, and try clear the table top. It was friendly, and not so huge, so I figured that it wouldn't be much of a problem.

I took my time going about things, giving it one try at a time, lap by lap slowly getting a little farther and farther.

Finally I paused for a little break, noting that it was getting dark.

"Okay little CR, let's give it one last try."

Sure enough I did clear it, but on the landing, my front wheel caught and sent me flying over the handlbars. I landed right on my head. The first thing I realized was that I couldn't breathe due to a mouth (literally) full of dirt.

I started spitting and pawing at my face...In my hurry, I had inadvertantly scooped another handful of dirt IN to my mouth. This rather brought me back to my senses, and I started laughing out loud at my dirty predicament.

My head hurt some, and I felt only slightly dazed...so I figured I was good to get up and go.

Something seemed a little odd about the way everything seemed so bright...and sure enough, I had broken the visor off my helmet...I picked up the broken piece, and brought the CR back to my trailer and car.

A little investigation of my helmet showed that my noggin had taken a pretty good hit. The foam was cracked and dented in, and there was a crack in the shell in addition to my broken visor.

I didn't want to tell you that I broke my helmet, but you managed to find out somehow (Dad? Were you the one who told on me?). I am a super prideful daughter, and don't want you to think that I am a reckless rider even though I push the boundaries occasionally.

Thank you for teaching me to get up every time I fall. This doesn't just apply to riding; it is one of my most valued goals in everything that I do.

I don't know what possessed you to buy me a new helmet. Most moms would have said "tape it up and use it again." Instead, you cared enough to call me and make sure you had picked out the right size.

What's more, is that you didn't stop there. I never expected you to order the sprocket and chain too. At this point, I was speechless, and that doesn't happen often as you well know. I've been needing those parts for far too long, but rent, food, and gas costs have kept me from getting them.

Those shiny parts may not be all that appealing to you (you did admit my sprocket looked very "pretty" in red), but they are almost gold to me.

You have been so supportive of my pursuit in motocross, even though you really don't like the sport. Racing is huge for me, and I cannot thank you enough for helping me pursue my life dream like this. Thank you also for teaching me to never give up. I didn't understand the value of learning this from you until I moved out (and started racing).

Things were moving along nicely, and I was about to hang up the phone when you decided to get me new riding pants too. I was floored (this an extreme understatement), and even tried to protest. How did you know that my old ones didn't fit anymore?!

(A note to all moms: Your teleki wait...no...telepa...no that's not right either...uhm...your mind reading skills are both terrifying and awesome at the same time).

You won the discussion, as you always do. I'm glad you won many of them in the past too (ones that didn't have to do with motorcycle parts).

Now I have pants that fit, and don't press my surgery scar! This all came in addition to the new side plates, boots, and chest protector that you and dad had gotten me for Christmas and my Birthday.

I didn't exactly ask for these things, but you put a lot of time and effort into getting them for me, and that speaks to me far more than if you had bought me a designer pair of jeans or some other silly thing like that.

The next day, you bought me a few groceries in the middle of your busy trip to town.

These words will never do justice to everything you have done for me. I at least want to express my gratefulness for the parts and gear, and show everyone else on this board what an awesome mom I've got!

Mom, I love you! Happy Belated Mothers day

P.S. See how good these make my bike look now? If not, dad will at least enjoy them!

n1110271946_30061233_5970.jpg

Number plates!
n1110271946_30061235_6562.jpg

After!
n1110271946_30061237_7185.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2007
I wrote this post in honor of her (emailed a link), and tried to give a demonstration of just how cool, loving, and selfless she really is.

My words will never do her justice, but it is well worth sharing that she took time to do these hugely awesome things for me.

My family and I had plans of taking her out for dinner or supper, but they fell through. I will be helping her with painting and other preparations of the house they are moving into.

Mother's day always makes me pretty guilty, because there is no possible way that I'll ever be able to reimburse anything (let alone everything) she's done, and everything she's had to put up with in raising me.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just my opinion:

Seems more like a "look what my mom bought me" post.

Having ideas of what you'd like to do are A LOT different than following through. Buying stuff for mom doesn't have as great of an impacet of what you do and say so make mom proud and let her know how you feel by telling her face to face or over the phone not in a forum.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Tolle- don't let these grizzled old farts steal away your enthusiastic gratitude. Heck, as the mother of a teenager, I can tell you that her mom is undoubtedly very grateful that she is not posting rotten mommy dearest stories about her on her MySpace! :whoa:

Besides, her mom is reading this..... if you are going to rag at her, at least give her great ideas of what she can do for her mom! Then her mom's expectations go WAY up, she can savor the anticipation of all these kind deeds... and Tolle is forced live up to it!! ;) :debil:

p.s. What did you guys do for YOUR moms??

Apr 30, 2007
Patman said:
Just my opinion:

Seems more like a "look what my mom bought me" post.

Hm, I see your point. I edited for tone. I should have read over the first draft to make sure I was hitting the point I wanted to.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've got two perspectives I'm coming from just trying to help a kid out.
1. Things I wished I did as a kid before my mom passed away.
2. As a dad helping his son try to do it better.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I understand completely, Patman. I'm just razzing you guys.

I think she's an awesome kid. As a mom, knowing that people think my kid is an awesome kid- well- in my case has little to do with my parenting skills, but for good moms like Justalonewolf's, well.... They should be proud to know they raised an awesome kid that people look at, and know she has the right values: honesty, a good work ethic, the ability to know right from wrong, kindness, and a sense of humor. Things like being a good athlete, writer, and uberachiever...those are just icing on the momhood cake imho. Maybe it has more to do with the kids themselves, than us moms...I don't really know the secret. But....Tolle and her mom clearly love and appreciate eachother- so she must have gotten something right!!

Lastly, if it take the WWW to say it to her, so she can have a nice little teary mom moment, well.... I'm the first in line to say "way to go Tolle's mom". You did good.
:cool:

You're pretty okay too Patman.

edit: JALW: nice job on the edit. You are a gifted writer, and your mom is most awesome.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
justalonewolf007 said:
I didn't want to tell you that I broke my helmet, but you managed to find out somehow

I get the inside scoop on what's up with my kids by going to their Myspace page. My kids know better than to put pictures they don't want me to see on their own page, so I click on one of their friends to see the pictures that the friends have on their myspace page! Very interesting!

justalonewolf007 said:
I don't know what possessed you to buy me a new helmet. Most moms would have said "tape it up and use it again."

Maybe she wants to keep you around awhile and figures a new helmet might save your head.

justalonewolf007 said:
What's more, is that you didn't stop there. I never expected you to order the sprocket and chain too.

Didn't you just replace the sprockets a year ago?

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
Well Rod, I *tried* to put new sprockets on it.

I did fine with the front, but the rear was a real pain in the rear.

I looked online..and saw them for ~65 bucks without shipping...and I didn't have that.

Dealer said "here's one that fits your bike" and it was 25 bucks, so I picked that one up along with a new chain.

It was a 51 tooth...supposedly stock for a CR80...

Except...mine is a CR 80 Expert, and stock for that is a 55 tooth sprocket. I had been trying to "tame" it down while I was learning the basics of racing...I'll never listen to the dealer again.

That tamed it down more than ah...well it just plain sucked. My XR 100 had more "go" than my CR did with that sprocket on it.

I ended up putting the old worn out sprocket back on Since I was completely broke at that point.

It lasted the entire season to my disbelief...I kept a very sharp eye out to make sure that everything looked fairly "safe" before each ride...

Now I have the correct sprocket replacement (seen in pics above)...

matthew007

May 17, 2008
Mod Edit: Sorry... no spamming. If you want to sell something DO NOT hijack someone elses thread.

Please read our FAQ about posting rules and etiquette.

Ivan

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom