farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I've got an '01 KDX that still has the original tires! That's about to change - thus, my question(s):

Are the stock tubes OK? ...or should I replace them with something else that might be of a higher quality? Do the tubes break down/rot over time?

How often do you change your tubes?

I say thanks, as searching didn't turn up much as far as answers.

Jeff

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I don't change mine until they get punctured. They do make "heavy duty" tubes that have thicker rubber. I only use those if I plan on racing in the desert. I suppose a tube could "rot", mine never hold air long enough for that to happen!

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Ultra heavy duty tubes will give you much more flat protection and you can keep the stockers as spares. You were looking for an excuse to buy new stuff right ? ;)

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Experience says to use heavy duty tubes for heavy off road use (away from the mx tracks). There is nothing wrong per say with the stock ones, but they are much lighter. The lighter has always been asking for trouble a long way from home. Yes, heavy duty tubes will last for several tires. Just my .02. Cheers John

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I think I would go ahead and change them if they're four years old. Rocky Mt ATV has MSR heavy duty tubes for around 10.00. If you'll get your new tires from there, you'll save enough $$$ to pay for new tubes.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
bcVulcan said:
If you'll get your new tires from there, you'll save enough $$$ to pay for new tubes.

This is true if you change your own.... I have bent 2 tire iron to the unuseable state, (Darn Maxxis 6001's) that I have mine changed now. Usually if you buy tires locally, they change them for almost nothing if they want your business, Otherwise I have spent almost $60 to have 2 changed that I bought from Rockymountainmc.com ... never again! :|

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The stock tubes are fine.

They will make excellent spares for your parts tub!

Which is where I assume they are going after you replace them both...right?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
When you coming down with more pies?

OOPS!! I mean when you coming down to go riding again? :clue:

Top Bottom