cutting into a stock 220 pipe??

dwiggins

May 8, 2007
ok, I searched and read a few threads on cutting into a stock pipe for a 220. Here's my question(s). First, i'd like to hear from anyone who has gutted one of these pipes. Some said worth it, others not so much. I have all the tools, air cutter, welder to do it right. Second question. Wouldn't it look better if I cut out the area on the back side of the pipe that I can weld back and will never be seen? Seems like I could cut out a rectangle section on the back side of the fattest part, cut out what ever might be inside and then reweld. Am I missing sonething? I have two stock pipes so if I ruin one in the process It's not a big deal. I just hate to spend $200 bucks on a new FMF if this is going to be worth it in performance. I just bought a 97 220 that is beat and have enough spare parts to make it look and ride like a new bike but don't have an extra pipe. Only paid $750 but would like to keep it less than $900 for the whole project. It's an extra KDX to take with us on trips in case we blow up another bike. But, I want it to hold it's own with my other KDX and RMX's. What do you think??

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I'd leave it stock, and stalk a used FMF on ebay. You will probably score one for under $100 if you are patient. And then you have the stock one that is easy to jet for, never needs packing, is nice and quiet, and just about indestructible.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
The question is, what do you want out of the bike? Is it doing what you want or do you want to change it? If you can cut it and weld it back the same it doesn't matter at all where you cut into :p

Waiting for my FMF to turn up ;)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
with the $900 cap on the project I dont see any other choice other than to give it a try. I think it would be a great thread to get going. I would first get the bike running as good as you can with the pipe as is and then do the pipe mod, gut it and burn all the carbon out then retune it and give reports. if it is worse you can always get a replacement stock pipe for cheap

Pop the head of and send it to Ron Black and have the squish band set up..

I have no idea about the 220 but my 200 is wicked fast and has all the power I would ever need, I'm not shure if it was luck in the way I put her together and tuned it or what, I have the boysen reeds and an fmf "woods" pipe and have a set it and forget it jetting plan( a little rich in the summer but in the fall and spring she seems to really wake up )

In my case if I had a second kdx I would leave it nice and quite with the stock pipe and silencer and try to find a auto clutch set up with left hand rear brake to make it as different from my other kdx as possible

dwiggins

May 8, 2007
I think what I will do is get it running better, and then take off the stock pipe and cut into it. I have an extra pipe so I can switch back and forth and be able to report any notable gain or loss in power. It has a newer top end and it has 160# of compresssion. It just doesn't run right. My son and I are tearing the enrire bike down. I have some Boysen reeds to put in it from another bike and I'm sure the KIPS is gummed up. When I get to the pipe, I'll take some picks and see what happens. Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom