Are scratched tubes Fixable

yz125_894

Nov 23, 2003
I have an 02 yz125 and i had the stock seals last untill i went to a place called bear creek in ohio and covered them with mud then they started leaking. I put after market ones on (dont crucify me for this) and filled the oil to high (just about ohh 5 inches :| . I did this twice untill relising that i did it and put it to the right level. Now everytime they move and there is just a little pit of dirt film on the shocks it looks like there is oil in the ring and they leak i think :clue: when i hit big bumps. Is it just i need to have a professional do this (i used a half a peice of pvc and a hammer to drive them in not straight of course) and put stock ones in or is it the tubs are scratched and need to be repaired. They dont appear to be but idk Thanks alot guys -pat-

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Pat it sounds like you may want to get a pal with more experience to help you, or a shop. or look at some past posts on seals and stuff . I can tell you that if your forks are overfilled way too much your seals will never stop leaking , the oil gets in between the inner and outer tube and just gets forced past the seal . Ive seen this more than once or twice when someone sets their oil height with the bike on the stand and the wheel hanging. The forks must be fully compressed to get the right level .Sometimes if you grease a seal and wiper too much you can get greasy rings where the fork seals have traveled . But if youve got a dripper youll want to adress the problem. If you get it apart check the bushings out for wear from grit and dirt, if theyre worn or scraped up from spooge the forks will leak again.Look for knicks in the chrome tube and dress with a honing stone or fine knife sharpening stone or something just be careful. Small voids or knicks in the tube can be filled with clear nail polish or a small bit of crazy glue believe it or not. GOOD LUCK

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…