Are Trelleborg Studded tires coming back?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I read in Trail Rider magazine that Trelleborg had sold the molds for their studded tires to Mitas and that the tires might be available again this winter. Has anyone heard anything about availability?

A.J

Nov 9, 2001
Here is a link for studded tires available from Motorace. You can get Cheng Shins, Michelins or Trelleborgs with the Trelleborgs being the most $$$$$ of the three.

Trelleborg

tonyr

Feb 15, 2000
Works Enduro Rider is the east coast distributor for Trelleborg's, but as of Dec. 4th they didn't have any yet. I don't know who the wwest coast dist. is.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I have some brand new Trelleborgs made in the Czhech(sp?) Republic. They are made using the same mold that was used to make the Swedish ones (I compared them next to each other).

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Thanks for the link A.J. I didn't know that Michelin made a studded tire. I wonder how it (or the Cheng Shins for that matter) compares to the Trelleborgs?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I know. I'm still reeling :silly: , but I have riding buddies that are using Trelleborgs with nine seasons of use and they still look pretty good. I'm told that as long as you only use them on snow, ice, and frozen ground they last a long time. The cheaper way would be to install ice screws myself, but the though of spending hours with a drill only to have them rip out 4-5 rides later does not sound so good either. My question of the moment is whether the Trelleborgs are worth $187 more than the Cheng Shins.

A.J

Nov 9, 2001
Hard to say, sometimes those cheap Cheng Shins work fairly well! I haven't used either of them though - maybe Motorace has an opinion?
Around here the hot set up is to install a liner of some sort for the screws to bite into ( hacked up old street tire works good)so they last longer. If you just screw them into the knobbies they will fly out pretty fast.
I heard you can buy them custom made like this but then you are approaching the cost of the Trelleborgs anyway.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I have a pair of the Cheng Shins and they work pretty good. I have had them for about 5 years and only a couple of studs are missing. I think I paid around $300 for them. I only use them when I know that I won't be near any rocks, I think this has helped them wear this long. I have two buddies that use the Trellborg and the big difference is the stud height. The Trellborgs have a lot taller stud and inturn work better then the Cheng Shins. If we are out riding on peer ice the Trellborgs work much better IMO. But were I ride the Cheng Shins work just fine and saved me some money. The only problem I have with the Cheng Shins are they are very stiff and a pain in the @#% to mount.
If you want the best studded tires call Fredette and he'll build you a set!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom