Another dreaded tire thread, losing my mind

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Ok I am in need of new tires, my tires I have on the bike now were in perfect shape but i decided to stud them this past winter so now I need new ones. I had my mind set on the MAXXIS C6001 tires but rockymountain is sold out and I can figure out the dang MAXXIS site. I dont ride any MX at all, at least havent for a long time since my brain surgery so now i basically stick to trails with mud, rocks, loose dirt, etc.

Next i was looking at the IRC M5B tire for the rear, possible but cost more than i would like to spend really. I have been reading for a long time about tires on here and everyone has different opinions so that doesnt really help all that much. More or less what sites are good to order tires from? MXsouth doesnt seem to have much either on the web unless I am missing something which is very possible.

Also any of you DYDR guys that ride paragon, what tires are you running, since thats basically the main place i ride at? RM_GUY, I already know your set-up :)

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
thanx for the link, any idea how the maxxis IT's compare to the C6001? Better or worse or what about the IRC front tires?

Ok the maxxis IT's rear i need is out of stock, Anyone have info on the kenda's carlsbad?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I have the 6001's. Don't get them. The front tire is pretty good but I'm not impressed with the rear tire. Knobs rounded quickly and it breaks traction when leaned over really easy. My next tire is going to be a Kenda Milville. Only good thing about the 6001 is 6 ply tires. Man are they tough sidewalls.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I'm happy with the IRC VE33 rear and the Metzler MC4.
Just my opinion, but the Maxxis IT's will hold up for maybe 3 rides, before they really start to chunk.
The M5B is a great soft terrain tire, and will even work well in some rocks, but it will wear fast in rocky conditions.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
kelsorat said:
Just my opinion, but the Maxxis IT's will hold up for maybe 3 rides, before they really start to chunk.

For what it's worth - that's exactly the opposite of what I've experienced thus far and what I've read on other posts. . .

The 6001's are apparently not the same tire as the IT.

For example:

YZMAN400 said:
I have a Maxxis IT on the YZ400. That tire is a few seasons old and it still looks amazing. I have never seen a tire wear as good as that one. That one has been to Drummond also with no loss of knobs.

rm_racer said:
I had a IRC M5B and have a Maxxis IT. Both are good tires, but the Maxxis side walls are super stiff. Makes it a pain to put them on, but they seem to last for quite a while with good hook up.

oldguy said:
We have been using nothing but the Maxxis IT rear and it easily outlasts the dunlops we used to use by 2 times. This is being used exclusively for MX (many tracks have concrete starts) on a 250F

PhastPhart said:
I switched from Dunlops to Maxxis IT 2 years ago and really like them. Hold up well in the SoCal desert and are predictable. They sell for $43 at Rocky Mountain so I can replace them often. Try em.

jboomer said:
Maxxis IT

Favorite tire on Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama hardpack! I don't think they get any better than that without sacrificing durability.

bclapham said:
i liked mine today on a hardpacked track. good hookup and nice predictable powerslides.

but if you dont care about performance and just want a tire that will do more miles than a ford explorer, get the maxxis IT. my 952 is well worn after 1 ride.

btw- i tried the maxxis SI front today and its ace!!!!

Green Hornet said:
MAXXIS last a long time, but are on the heavy side. Great tire though

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
so is this saying the IT is better than the c6001 or vise versa? Any other good online places to order from? Theres just so many mixed opinions with each tire i never know which one to go for. It seems that each tire has people who swear by it and then theres others who say they fall apart within 2 rides. I'm losing my mind

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Don't get the 6001! I think the IT is a better tire, but I haven't tested to be sure. I'm switching to a Kenda Milville as I've heard really good things about them.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
well I got the 6001 from my local dealer for $40 so thats what i'm going with i guess. I have heard so many mixed reviews on the 6001, but its the same with every other tire. As for the front, the dealer was telling me that cheng shin(sp?) or whatever makes maxxis and they have a cheng shin front tire for like $25 that he said works fine for normal trail riding and basically the same as a maxxis front.. Any info on that tire? I think i ran one a while back and didnt really have any problems but i cant remember exactly. The c6001 does look like a serious tire though.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I figured for $40 at my local shop i couldnt pas it up, now i'm on the front tire, they didnt have any others in stock at the time except that cheng shin one but the guy said its basically a maxxis just cheaper. Just wondering how that would hold up, its $25 so i may give it a whirl just to see.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
sick 96 250 said:
Also any of you DYDR guys that ride paragon, what tires are you running, since thats basically the main place i ride at?

Last time I rode there I had a Pirelli MT16 on the rear and MT18 on the front. Good combination, but once the MT18 loses its edge it'll skate all over the place in mud. I now prefer the MT16 front and a trials tire (Mitas ET-01) in the rear. I'm positive that combination would rock at Paragon. The trials rear tire isn't a choice if you've got a 19" rim.

Top Bottom