MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
how do i go about asking my local dealership for discounted parts? i would just let them come to me but i dont think ive ever seen this particular dealer at our local track

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Most dealerships around here offer a certain discount level when you purchase a new bike, usually they will specify that it's for that season.

Since you're riding a 4 year old bike and don't seem to have any relationship with this dealer you need to ask yourself why they would give you a parts discount? If you can come up with a good reason that you feel makes sense to the dealer on the return they would see from sponsoring you by all means prepare a Race Resume and pitch your idea to the dealer.

Remember to focus on what you can do for the dealer and what kind of return they can expect to see out of helping you. Most dealers are tired of the hey, I plan to race, you should give me a deal on parts approach.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
You need to first of all establish what he will gain from sponsoring you. For him to throw money or parts your way with no return is not a business decision many shops can make.
Are you already a customer on a regular basis? If so write up a resume and next time you are in the shop approach him and explain what you need and what you will do for him in return. Chances are he will want to know you are serious about racing and present a good example at the track. Results are good but the positive image can be even more important

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Best bet is buying a bike, lucky if you get 20 percent off. Show real good track presence and buy a bike means a better discount. Spending 400 dollars a month on maintenance items can help also. Top 5 in a class and try negotiating borrowing bike to race, and owe the difference for what it sells for when you are done. Guys leaving town really screwed that up! Somebody straight up give you something out of their pocket, not likely. Most dealers are like everywhere else, 200% mark up is basic business.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
well yeah my bike is 4 years old but its being financed through them and yes i am a regular customer there. and about 5 years ago my dad financed a fourwheeler through them. i would make sure the parts dont get put to waste and continue to be a regular customer and spread the word about how great the dealership. is there anything else i can do besides try my hardest to win?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
As already mentioned, write a race resume.... include your personal info, race results, goals, and most importantly, how you can promote the dealer. Maybe throw in a photo or two, riding or with your bike and trophies, and see if they are willing to work with you.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
how many races do you have under your belt? how often do you practice? you really cant go in there and be like hey, i bought a bike from you and a couple years ago my dad bought a four wheeler from you. thats how stores work people buy things. you need to show them why you deserve a discount on parts. show them how many races you have done. show them how often you practice. if they give you a iscount on parts then you need to give them something in return such as advertising for them. stickers on your bike, on your trailer of you have one. were there shirts, anything.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
that sounds like the best idea. ill find a resume online that all you have to do is fill it out and ill give it to them when i go next. should be soon as i need them to change my tires

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
MOTO ON RM250 said:
ill find a resume online that all you have to do is fill it
This sounds like the easy way to look just like everybody else that wants a discount. Do take a look at a few resume's if you can, don't try to duplicate somebody else's. Take the time to make it yours and you will have a much better chance at being noticed. This advice might help out later in life as well (like sometime in your early 20s).

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
this is in response to m4i2k2e2: 1 race and many many wednesday night practices. i plan to race a ton more this summer and practice less. i would do all of that if they gave me a discount. as long as they gave me the stickers, shirts, etc

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
MOTO ON RM250 said:
how do i go about asking my local dealership for discounted parts? i would just let them come to me but i dont think ive ever seen this particular dealer at our local track

Most shops give a break to racers. Ask the parts manager if they have a plan for local racers. Even if they don't he/she might cut you a break.

Buying a new bike would be a great way to start a relationship with the dealer. As mentioned above, they'll usually give a discount on anything bought the same day.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom