cloverdale

Mar 4, 2000
In regards to aspirin for arm pump...how much (mg) and how often..everyday or just race days. Also, where do you buy this "propel" drink, I have not spoke with anyone in Indiana that has heard of it.!!!!
thanks

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
I keep a bottle of generic aspirin in my van's first-aid kit. I take two aspirin before practice with a snack on racedays (I take them any time prior to riding when praciticing). I feel my wrists on the first ride, then they are fine for the rest of the day. My wrists bothered me every ride until I started doing this. Someone shared the tip with me and I listened. I have CP in both wrists, and I thought I was doomed to have bad wrists while riding, but I do fine. I kind of wonder why more people don't do it... such a simple fix.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
how does aspirin help with arm pump? propel is interesting stuff, its made by gatorade...tastes like water but has a fruity aftertaste. i dont know if you have any of these stores in your area, but over here it is carried at Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons and most other big chain stores

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Like I care how it helps. It just does. When I started riding again, my wrists were terrible and I thought I was going to have to stop altogether. A kid told me about taking aspirin and I never had trouble again (after the warm-up ride). I am just trying to help someone else like he helped me.

Be careful with your wrists - it is easy to get Carpal Tunnel. Just try to keep them straight as much as you can. Use your arms instead of wrists whenever possible.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm sure someone will correct me, but if I remember correctly aspirin thins your blood. This allows for better blood circulation when your muscles are tensed and will keep you from being fatigued as easily. This is just something that I recall from talking with my sister regarding muscle cramps (she's a doctor).

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
You're correct. Aspirin thins your blood, and Potassium relaxes your muscles. Combinig both are a great, and they helped me from cramping. With the Potassium, I take two a day on thursday, Friday and Saturday, and I take three Sunday morning.

skmcbride

May 16, 2001
Aspirin is called a blood thinner but more appropriately it is an anti-coagulant.
Simply put, it blocks the clotting cascade. Does this equal more blood flowing to muscle in healthy folks, unlikely. Even so, there is way more oxygen in the blood stream than the muscle can extract. Extraction is improved by training.
It is more likely that aspirin effects arm pump by its anti-inflammatory properties, possibly interfering with the inflammatory response associated with fatigue, blockade of pain for muscle pain fibers, and reduce chemical mediators associated with inflammation that could impact the muscle's contractile ability. If it works for you than have at it, I just wouldn't over do it as the potential side effects exist. Ibuprofen may be a little safer and easier on the gut, although the mechanisms of action are different and may not work as well. I for one, wouldn't want to take a blow to the head loaded up on aspirin. :o

As far as propel goes, it is available everywhere! Just take some water and break a multivitamin into it and presto, you have propel.

Good Luck, Keith

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Aspirin is kind of tough on the gut if you over do it. I had a friend that almost died from a hole in his stomach from aspirin overdose.
When you thin your blood you are more susceptible to bruising, maybe the chicks dig bruises as much as they "dig scares," if so, go for it.

Top Bottom