nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, they were stock. And all the bikes were stripped to some degree. I can't recall exactly. It makes sense, since the XR650 is higher geared before the countershaft sprocket (I think) and that huge thumper motor probably doesn't suffer torque deficiencies against a serious wind.

Have you ever been over 120 on a dirtbike? I'm sure there's a little resistance. :) I made 4900 miles in 9 days on a VMax once, which required valley and canyon speeds of 140 plus--frequently--no windshield or anything. I felt like a piece of leather after that ride.

If you're looking for a 'primarily' desert bike, you can't beat a KX500. I'm not being biased at all either. The results speak for themselves, and this bike with a Scott's damper is unmovable at speed. Nothing jigs it. Nothing scares it. Not even a slight wiggle when you hit a cement block at 40. It's as stable as they come, and faster than hell.

When I'm done with this motor, I might have Gorr port it for more top end. I might try it myself. :scream: If I ruin it, I guess he can epoxy it. If not, there's probably a replacement cylinder out there for a few bucks.

BTW, I've ridden the KTM, and it's an AWESOME bike. Very, very fun to ride. I want one. The KX is just a different beast--really pissed and vibrating a lot, but can be tamed with throttle control.

BadBronco

Jul 26, 2003
First I want to thank you for all your input nephron. Likewise thanks to everyone else. I've been out of the bike loop for along time.

So, nephron, what were your thoughts on the KTM 520, and was it an MXC or EXC ?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It was an MXC. I rode it at a small track. It was absolutely awesome. The motor spooled up quick like a 2 stroke (NOT like the XR650), the bike felt VERY light (no matter what the ignorant mags say), the power was JUST right. A lot of torque, very quick throttle response, very nimble...I could tell on this SMALL track that I was probably faster than I would have been on the beast.

I liked it so much, I almost bought it. I want another bike...just because. But I can't make my mind up b/t an Orange Thumper (they're beautifully built), or a really light, nimble 125 (I'd go RM, most likely. I love those Yellow Turds (drn term...), and am just about to kill myself on the tracks with this KX500. Then again, I'm just an average rider. Somebody better than me, like little Jeff Ward, could make a KX500 sing on a small track. You might be able to as well.

Your best bet would be to go to Dirtweek (which I can't--yet :( ). I've read multiple posts where a lot of these nice gals and guys were loaning each other their bikes for any and whatever reason.

ArmPump

Mar 12, 2002
I just picked up a buddy's 2000 Service Honda CR500 a month ago. It is so much better handling than the steel frame units. It carves corners like a scalpel, tracks well thru the whoops, gets airborne well, stops on a dime and mid-corner line changes are easy, too, and it's only 7 lbs heavier than a CR250. I don't say that easily, either, as I just got off my 5th in a row steel frame CR500, the last being a '98, set up well.

I've wanted an AF since I first saw them. There are AFs for sale used and most people take good care of them. Do it, you won't be sorry.

BadBronco

Jul 26, 2003
I'd love to get my hands on an AF CR500 also. Considering what I've read, I believe you, without any doubt.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to give for your buddy to let that CR500AF go? I'm curious what the going rate is for a used one? I'm also curious why would someone sell one (excluding a need for money)?

Thanks, Laurence.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I'm also curious why would someone sell one (excluding a need for money)?

Not everyone wants a handfull?

BadBronco

Jul 26, 2003
You mean some people want to own just one bike for all situations? I thought you need a bike for each local riding oportunity? lol.....Just kidding, ya I thought of that after I posted it. Who knows, when I get back into riding maybe I won't be such the WFO nut that I used to be. However, my hopes are that I still have the need to push the limits a bit. Thanks.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I'm starting to wonder about the same thing. As a kid, I rarely injured myself. In this last 15 months, I've injured myself pretty badly several times, once requiring surgery. This weekend I woke up in a cornfield surrounding a local track, broken helmet, concussion... ;)

It's just gotta be a series of bad luck--can't be that I'm just gettin' old, can it? :)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah--other than balance and thinking slow to improve..and new bruises popping up every day. Both my hands got butchered, and I don't know how. My helmet's no good anymore.

BadBronco

Jul 26, 2003
Yeah, I'm really sorry to hear that as well.

Hope you recover quickly. Sounds like a hard hit.

Were you out for long?

Thats got to be a bit scary to wake up in that kind of situation.

Any damage to the beast?

Take care, Laurence.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Ask Patman - he MXed the 500AF at Dirt Week a few years ago.

Compression releases in a 2 stroke? Ah you kids these days. Used to be lots of 2 smokes with 2 sparkplug holes had them. Really popular in flat track, short track particularly.

Nothin' like a Bultaco 360 screaming into a turn neck and neck with an Ossa, then PFFFTTTT the biggest fart sound you ever heard as they pull the compression release with the throttle still WFO.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Now that ATK is the new owner of Cannondale, do you think they will try to make a 700cc fuel injected 2 stroke

Top Bottom