flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
So, Preston and Sorby took each other out in the last chance too huh? Unfortunate that neither was able to qualify.

I thought the move he put on Sorby after Sorby t-boned him was CLASSIC! I don't think I've ever seen someone get punted off the track so hard! :laugh:

I do hope potential sponsors are able to over look it though. I'm hoping he gets a good ride for the outdoor season.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
flynbryan said:
I thought the move he put on Sorby after Sorby t-boned him was CLASSIC! I don't think I've ever seen someone get punted off the track so hard! :laugh:

It reminded me of Windham knocking Vuillemin off the track in the main event at Phoenix, 2004. That was for the lead and KW went on to win the main. Bascially, Cobra attempted to take out KW's front wheel (I think it was the first lap), but Windham anticipated it and braked hard. A corner or two later he aimed straight for Cobra's front tire and knocked him HARD off the track. KW got fined, but got to keep his win.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
On the webcast, they said RV got up holding his wrist in obvious pain. Sounded like he initially acted like his race was over, then later started his bike like he was going to rejoin the race to salvage a point or two, but quickly pulled off. Broken or sprained wrist, maybe?

Grant may have ended RV's season. Or worse. :(

Somebody needs to punt Sorby clear outta the frickin stadium. :nod:

I hate to say it but, this ain't racing kiddies. :whoa: This is more like survival. When the title depends upon who can get through the season without getting hurt, maybe we need to sit back and re-evaluate the track designs. Being from flattrack, I tend to like seeing the racing done on the ground and in the corners not in the air.

Tracks like Vegas with the sweeper around the back and different lines through the corners. Alternate lines and jumps through the same corner and split starts adds some variety to the program. To me, watching the whole pack coming through a rhythm section is like watching a Wack-a-Mole game.

The sand sections have added some excitement but the whole program is edited for tv now and much of the action is not seen. Now, we have under 45 minute lap times so they can pack it all in within an hour. And you're lucky if they show anybody beyond third place. More fireworks and rock star crap than racing.

By making the tracks too technical, it has eliminated the amount of riders that can even qualify for a sx event. That, along with the ama's mingling has given us recent races where they can't even find enough riders to completely fill the gate in the main event.

I have always wanted to see our sport get tv exposure. That is what has made it grow so much in recent years. But, if they don't change the tracks to be more rider and spectator friendly, there won't be enough top riders left at the end of the season for it to matter. Or spectators.

Just my incoherent ramblings.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Ol89R, you really feel the tracks are too technical? :think:

I find it pretty obvious that the tracks have been dumbied down substantially over the last 2-3 years. There are alot more straight aways and simple obstacles then the early 00's late 90's. The race last night was a blatant example of this. There did not seem to be any obstacles that seperated the riders. Though I think it takes away the advantage of the technically talented(IE: Reed, Windham) it definately tightens up the racing, but takes away(in my opinion) some of the awe factor of SX. I understand why they have done it though and they have accomplished their goal of lessening injuries at the races.

I also think these tracks styles have completely removed the two-stroke as a weapon, but thats a whole nother thread and a mute point these days. :blah:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
flynbryan said:
Ol89R, you really feel the tracks are too technical? :think:

I find it pretty obvious that the tracks have been dumbied down substantially over the last 2-3 years.:

Not so much too technical as too one line.

I would like to see more options. More lines through the same corners. More flat corners without berms, more splits. This makes it interesting and gives the riders more options to make a pass. To me, the single line, follow the leader racing is boring. My idea of racing is two or three or more riders fighting it out in every corner. When everyone gets spread out in a follow the leader fashion, I go look for a good book to read.

The vintage track design at A2 was technical but it had many options that made it interesting and threw everyones timing off.

I'm not saying to make the tracks easier but to make them more interesting and not build obviously dangerous jumps or sections that only a few of the top riders can make. Build them with the idea in mind to keep the pack together, not to let the top few run away with the race while the rest of the pack plays follow the leader. This would keep the racing tight and exciting. I realize there is only a certain amount floor space inside a stadium to achieve this but A2 was proof it can be done.

When you have all of the top guys out with injuries at the end of the season, it takes a lot of the glory away from whoever can survive and eventually take the title.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Ol'89r said:
Not so much too technical as too one line.

I would like to see more options. More lines through the same corners. More flat corners without berms, more splits. This makes it interesting and gives the riders more options to make a pass. To me, the single line, follow the leader racing is boring. My idea of racing is two or three or more riders fighting it out in every corner. When everyone gets spread out in a follow the leader fashion, I go look for a good book to read.

The vintage track design at A2 was technical but it had many options that made it interesting and threw everyones timing off.

I'm not saying to make the tracks easier but to make them more interesting and not build obviously dangerous jumps or sections that only a few of the top riders can make. Build them with the idea in mind to keep the pack together, not to let the top few run away with the race while the rest of the pack plays follow the leader. This would keep the racing tight and exciting. I realize there is only a certain amount floor space inside a stadium to achieve this but A2 was proof it can be done.

When you have all of the top guys out with injuries at the end of the season, it takes a lot of the glory away from whoever can survive and eventually take the title.

I would agree with the one line. It happens alot,but is also hard to prevent. I do feel though that they have done alot to remove some of the risk. As I stated, there MUCH less technical sections in the sx designs these day. I think if I'm understand you correctly though, you feel the one line causes the danger. I'd buy that too. ;)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Combat767 said:
Anyone think Millsaps interview sort of eluded to some troubles at the Milsaps training facility or troubles with his folks? Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but it sure looked and sounded like he wanted to say something, but didn't get far into it. :think:
I definately had the same thoughts. I had heard that he and his mother parted ways on a very sour note but never got any confirmation. It sure seemed as if he was extending an olive branch when he said he still loved her and did it for her. I give him a lot of credit if that is the case

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Ol'89r said:
Now, we have under 45 minute lap times so they can pack it all in within an hour. And you're lucky if they show anybody beyond third place. More fireworks and rock star crap than racing.

Just my incoherent ramblings.
Man I wish we had 45 minute lap times but wouldn't it then be a Hare Scrambles :) ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oldguy said:
Man I wish we had 45 minute lap times but wouldn't it then be a Hare Scrambles :) ;)

Ok, 45 seconds. :whoa: good catch oldguy. :cool:

flynbryan.

I don't know what the answer is but the one line tracks may be part of the problem. Many riders are getting landed on. You don't see a lot of this on tv since they seem to try to clean up or eliminate the really bad stuff for the tv audience.

I just hate to see so many of our young guns getting hurt. Very few of them can get through a whole season without a practice or racing injury.

I would just like to see more variety in the tracks. Less stupid stuff thrown in at the last minute to add a couple seconds to the lap times. Like that dumbass wall last weekend. Maybe send them out in the parking lot like Vegas or up in the stands like the L.A. Coliseum. Tracks designed to keep the pack together without one rider running away with it.

IMO, some of the most exciting and closest racing on the planet is done on a track with only two corners and big long straightaways in between. Mile dirttrack racing is very exciting. Very rarely does anyone run away with the show. Usually, there are packs of 4-5 or more drafting down every straightaway and racing 3 and 4 wide in the corners. Because of drafting nobody breaks away from the pack and the rider leading the pack out of the last turn is not usually the rider that wins the race. Four and five riders crossing the finish line side by side after 25 laps of racing with everyone in the grandstands standing and cheering. Now, that's exciting.

Much more exciting than one rider pulling ahead half way through the race and everyone rushing to the parking lot during the last few laps to beat the traffic.

Like I said, I don't know what the answer is but, using a little more common sense and engenuity when designing and building the tracks may help. Motorcycle racing is a dangerous sport. Always has been always will be. That's what seperates it from other sports. If it wasn't dangerous, everyone would do it and they would call it golf or sumtin' like that. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Latest news, Tim Ferry out with a practice crash injury. Ribs and tailbone.

So. Now we have Stewart, Byrne, Tedesco, both Alessi's, Townley, Langston and Ferry out with injuries. They should change the name of the series to 'Last Man Standing'. :nod: Oh, nevermind. :whoa: We already have one of those. :debil:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Didn't realize BOTH Alessi's were out. :( Bummer to hear Red Dog is out now too.... Now the only guy I have to root for on a kawi is Preston.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Supercross is a dangerous sport, and accidents are going to happen. I didn't see anything overly dangerous about this track. The wall jumps messed up the flow some, but weren't super dangerous. Chad Reed is really the only person I saw eat it big over one of them all night...

I'm not sure where all the complaints are coming from. A few weeks ago, it looked like Chad Reed was going to win every race by a country mile which would be BORING... now we've had 2 new winners in the last 2 races and the sx class is finally starting to get interesting again!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Ol'89r said:
Like I said, I don't know what the answer is but, using a little more common sense and engenuity when designing and building the tracks may help. Motorcycle racing is a dangerous sport. Always has been always will be. That's what seperates it from other sports. If it wasn't dangerous, everyone would do it and they would call it golf or sumtin' like that. ;)
If we made SX and MX safer, we'd have to call it flattrack

;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRpredator said:
If we made SX and MX safer, we'd have to call it flattrack
;)

Yeah. We all know how safe and easy that is Pred. :whoa: Go straight, turn left. Go straight, turn left...... :yikes: :rotfl:

Top Bottom