Apr 30, 2007
Just did (I was one of three pairs of hands) a rack and pinion replacement job on a '99 Grand Prix GT.

Beings as I was the smallest in the bunch, it was my job to perch under the hood, with my knees on the front motor mounts, and reach down through the engine to get all that was ugly and unholy. I still have bruises and pinch marks from trying to loosen bolts and fasteners that couldn't be seen and reached from the bottom side.

It also includes quite a bit of musical chairs - only with jacks and stands just trying to get the placement right in order to lower frame bits while raising the engine in order to get the room to remove the original piece. That is ugly business!

I made the mistake of trying to check my sparkplugs (on an 03 Alero) once, and really just didn't even know where to start. They stuff components in there like a jenga puzzle, and then put disguising covers and plates over everything to make sure you don't even attempt to fix things yourself.

Rant over.

Jesel

Jul 15, 2006
I did a rack and pinion on a grand am GT so I can feel your pain. It would probably be easier to drop the K-member. Oh well, maybe next time.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Jaguar X-Type AWD clutch, 12.8 hrs labor. :yikes:

Step 1 in the procedure? Remove the engine... :rotfl:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom