avs lever / dust cover question

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I just installed avs brake and clutch levers on my crf450. simple question - the dust cover (oem) on the clutch side no longer fits - part of the problem is that the hot-start on the avs is below the bars and on the honda oem it is above. so, what is the solution, is there a replacement or are people running w/o the cover or is duct tape the answer? what is the risk of running w/o cover - could see it sucking more water into the cable.

but seriously, i now have cool red shorty levers with a sloppy dustcover boot - there has to be a better solution.

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
Assuming you are running the ASV Pro-Model clutch lever and perch with thumb hot start, which is the setup I'm using on my CRF; the stock OEM dust cover was not intended to be used with the ASV setup. The Pro-Model has a small dust cover attached to the perch covering the clutch cable and lever cam area. The remainder of the lever and perch are exposed. Great levers; I've put them to the test and they functioned perfectly :cool:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I looked at a set of AVS levers on another riders CRF 250 at a race last night. The clutch didn't have a cover on it.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Turns out that you can snap the original dust cover over the clutch lever (just being wimpy before). there is lots of extra space since the hotstart is no longer above the clutch. the new hotstart does not have a cover but should not be a problem as the cable itself has a good cover and it is not used while running through the dust and muck...

i love these levers - finally got adjusted yesterday. i can 2-finger pull to fully disengage clutch while keeping the remainder of my hand firmly on the grip - feel much safer now...

as for front brake - 1-finger is all it takes! :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom