Awesome riding land available near by real chaep

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Awesome riding land available near by real cheap

After we purchased our farm out here we realised how beautiful this area really is. We have about moved in and started looking around for more land to add. There is another 75 acre place to the back of us we might try to get....(fingers crossed) Might get some folks from Colorado to get involved out here. And then the folks next farm over saw us buy and figured folks like us were the way out of farming! Put their entire farm for sale.

Around 200 acres and a house to be sold in two parcels.

The House and 74 acres for around 140,000 and 100plus acres adjacent to my place and a barn for under 100,000. My bet is an offer for 120K would get that house. Its a nice one as well. I also would bet an offer for 220K would get the entire farm. It would be nice to have a MOTORCYCLE type buy that place and add another 175 acres to our 240 available for riding!

Great investment as even now the prices are moving up because of us and the New York reaction to that sad day a month ago.

For those independent types the dirt works type businesses are doing well. Trades are doing well and the medical business is crying for the skill type people. My wife found work in two days. Land goes for between 500 and 1000 per acre depending on location.

This area is great for many outdoor type sports. Hunting, Motorcycles, 4-Wheelers, Snowmobiles. There is a Ski hill just 5 minutes from here. Town is about five miles away with all the major stores. Cornell University is just 15-20 minutes away. Incredible place. Syracuse is about 20 minutes and they have a major airport for the traveling types. The more we learn, the more amazing to us it is this place is so inexpensive to live in. Taxes are not as bad as we expected. We will pay around 5000 per year for the entire farm. There are a lot of tax incentives if we coose to grow stuff.

So the concept is take that equity built up over the years, sell the place and buy a farm outright with the equity.

:)

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
500-1,000 an acre!!!

OH MAN... wow...

Around here (40-50 miles from Chicago ) an acre goes for 8,000-10,000 (and for flat ground on top of it)!!! :eek:

(That just gave me an idea for a new thread :) )

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Watch it, Walt! You're giving away our best secrets!! (Don't want none of those Cal-I-For-Ni-A types getting any ideas! ;) )

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
LOL

Actually I would LOVE to have a motorcycle oriented family buy that place! Imagin what we could do combining that place and mine? And at least you would know the neigbors don't mind MOTORCYCLES!:D

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Dog!

Glad to see you got settled,

Was thinking about you as I was in Wyo. this last week and started to think about the trail system you were talking about.

Still bummed I didn't get to ride that purty black bike of yours!

Rod

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
LoriKTM's nightmare

weimedog,
How many hospitals are there in your area?
My wife is licenced as LVN, RN, NP, & PA, and I'm a medical buyer.

We have been discussing Buffalo & Sarycuse as places to relocate to....

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
Watch it, Walt! You're giving away our best secrets!! (Don't want none of those Cal-I-For-Ni-A types getting any ideas! ;) )

Too late Lori!! Back off John!! I'll take it!!! :p ;) Now where did I leave that spare $120K......

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think it's in pennies and nickels on the floor your car. Might be some in that Tofu Hut bag behind the seat too.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
With just the equity on my 1100 sqft shack in silicon valley, I could get the whole farm & not work for about 18-20 months....... Hmmmmmm.......
Get farm, get job, buy a few more dirtbikes...mayber a buldozer or two...

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Now see what you started, weimedog! Although I've met FarmerJohn. He's not a typical Left-coaster. ;)

FarmerJohn, if you're nice weimedog might even lend you some of his heavy equipment so you don't have to buy your own! Cortland, NY is a nice area. Some very cool old houses in the downtown area. And only a short hop to Syracuse.

Buffalo or Syracuse, huh? Hope you like snow!!

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Left coaster?

I`m only a lefty by default. Moved here for a job with my wifes inlaws.
I`m a bonified suthin boy, yes sur e bob!;)

Weimedog, how is the comercial construction around there? Building any schools, hospitals and such?

later
mxbundy

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
mxbundy, not much commercial just yet. Right now the roads are all being re-paved. Private mixed with public resources have blended to take on this emmense task. Cortland and the surrounding area's have been in that process all year. It will continue throughout the state. A guy with a NYS spec dump truck can do well here.

There are tons of small jobs. Lots of repair/reconstruction type work. Excavators do well. A small independent contractor can do well here. Trades like plumbing, electritions, etc who have the skills to have there oun business and deal with the public can do very well. Lots of that type of work around.

We found a hole in the market as well that we will take advantage of over the next few years.

Lots more going on than I though.

Figure if you bought a place like the one we have next door there would be about a 1000 per month fixed expence plus what ever your family costs. That 1000 is taxes, utilities, and basic maintainance. If you bought one of these places with equity and have no or very little debt load you can flip burgers and survive.

One thing that we have found is the Medical industry can't find enough skill type resources. Radiologists, Doctors, etc just don't exist out here in enough quantities to keep things moving. They have a problem. Anyone in the Medical business can make out real well out this way.

The politics are also beginning to allow tax incentives and Gov. money to be released into the local communities to encourage businesses to be brough into this state...There is a push to revitalise the dairy business (NOT ME!!!!) and there are now tax incentives to get us to grow crops here.

Lots of things to look at here. It just takes some imagination and guts. That Grath Brooks song "The River" applies:)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Thanks for the info

Thanks weimedog,

When did you move up there, last time we conversed you lived in Col.
Sounds like you have the ideal setup there, wish I could convince the wife to move. Ive had it with SoCal, to many people and traffic, and in my line of work I cant escape the traffic. Boy but that would be a dream come true to have a couple hundred acres of my own to ride on. With the equity in my place I could put a good downpayment on that place.........oh man snap out of it. My wife would never go for it.
But I used to operate heavy equipment and drive logging trucks, maybee I could buy me a Dumper and bobcat and go into business......... oh man here I go again.
Well good luck and have fun, yeah right,like thats not gonna happen.

later mxbundy

P.S. Is there a big off road scene up there? H/S and enduros ? Maybee next time we visit family in Pittsburg I can come up and sample your trails?

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
mxbundy;

We just moved in a month ago. I really have only been here a coupe of weeks as I have had to return to Colorado to load up stuff. I have to get back to Colorado this coming week as well.

We spent time out here last december to check out the winter. Also again in April to check out spring. We have studied this area for about a year before making this move.

That dream can be real guy. If you wanted to make it happen this farmer next door will FINANCE the deal. Kid you not. Forget the standard rigormarol. And your neighbor (me) would have no problem with your adding that acreage to ours to get more trail riding.....:)

My hunch is this stuff won't stay for long. We searched many states before we found thiis. And since we have been hunting, most of our other option have been sold. Real Estate of this type is moving because it is so cheap and folks like me have discovered this avenue to make life style changes.

Looks like I will be building a horse arena out here as well as my other jobs. Lots of stuff to do. Winters may be tough though if you are from So-Cal and the South. But with winter comes more odd jobs if you have the equipment. If I knew how to get pictures from my video camera to the net I would show you pictures ... you would not believe this area.

Rolling hills....fields....woods.....a beaver pond....lots of deer and geese for the hunting types....and now bike trails.

Turns out dirt bikes are pretty popular but snow mobiles are even more popular. And thats the other thing we discovered. The NYS trails go through our upper field. Looks like those snowmobile trails connect several towns and a couple of restaurants....I never did snowmobiling before. :scream:

There are several AMA districts that have racing within driving distance. District 34 is south of here, 6 extends down into Pennslavania, and 4&5 are North. About 15 track in New York. Another bonus is I am within driving distance of BOTH Unadilla Valley and Broome Tioga where the Natioanls are held. There is Hare Scrambles and also the entire New England dirt riding organizations are within striking distance if the NYS and Penn. stuff isn't to your likeing. Awesome place.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Oh man,

Sounds very tempting. Now lets see, you have 240 acrers plus want to buy 75 more. Thats 315 acres. Now if I buy the adjacent property thats approx. 175 acres that would total 490 acres of prime riding area. Now just imagine this, If you couyld find another 170 acres adjacent that would be 660acres which I believe is a "section" of land. If iy was square, it would be 1 mile by 1 mile. WOW!!!
I have 2 little girls, and the oldest is getting a PW for xmas. Would have plenty of space to learn on. About 175 acres!
With just the amount of the two farms put together we could promote and hold our own Hare scramble or Grand Prix type events. I have friends down in Fl. that do this and they make bank off of one race.
Oh man, I have got to stop thinking about this.
Any good bike shops in the area? By this I mean someplace that you can stop and shoot the **** with the guys, hang out and support by buying all your supplies. Out here the bike shops are like Auto dealerships, you cant even make it in the door with out a sales man hounding you.
I lived in Mich. for 2 years and did alot of snowmobiling and it is fun.
What about the lakes in the area, on the map it looks like there is a lot of water near by. The whole family is into boating, we love to wakeboard.
If only I could convince the wife that rural living can be just as full as city life.
Il bring this up at dinner to night and see what kind of response I get. i do know it would be hard to pry her away from her mom and sister. Oh well, it cant hurt to run it up the flag pole.

later mxbundy

Dave S.

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2000
weimedog,
I read your story with a lot of interest With the job situation rather bleak in upstate (at least for jobs in industry), I've been thinking about head'n west - maybe CO. I've heard and read that there are some fabulous places to trail ride. It's interesting to hear your take on the situation in CO. I have lived in the Rochester area most of my life, but have travelled and seen most of the country. I've always thought that the finger lakes region is one of the nicest spots. Mxbundy asked about boating - lot's of wonderful lakes (although the season is pretty short compared to CA). Anyway, it's good to hear your comments about the area and it sounds like you've got a great riding spot.:cool:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Bundy-- if you survived Michigan, you will have no problem here. The area is absolutely gorgeous. I lived in IL all my life, but after a year out here I've decided this is where I want to stay. I already told my mom, that even if I got laid off work (which was a distinct possibility), that I wouldn't move back home! I'm just trying to convince THEM to move out HERE!
I left all my family and friends in IL, but am slowly making new friends here. The people out here are without a doubt some of the friendliest I've ever met. The racing/riding areas probably aren't up to California standards in size, but there's events going on just about every weekend from April to October. Check out www.wnyoa.net and www.ecea.org for the HS/enduro stuff. For the diehards, there's a winter mud and snow scrambles that starts in December. :eek: Me, I'll be picking up my boards and hitting the slopes!

Just come out for a visit and you'll be sold.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Dave S.

What type of industry?

Before starting the excavation business I work for a couple of companies that sold CAD/CAM and related hardware products to all kinds of industries. Then I worked for a company that sold Solid Modeling Software tools to other CAD/CAM and Graphics type software companies around the world. You wouldn't believe the places if I told you. I traveled around the US extensively and later in my career traveled around the world. I still keep in touch with my past.

Colorado is a mixed bag.

HP, IBM, and the support companies go up and down with the rest of the computer business. With the crash of the ".com" companies Colorado has some issues. They have a large disk drive industry that will be hit soon. Also with the layoffs in the Airline businesss Colorado is getting a double wammy.

Oil has picked up the slack for some dirt work types. Drill investment increased there for a while, then dropped this summer, and is growing again because of world events. (My brother works as a financial analyst for that oil industry) The population supports the general service industry out there pretty well. The continueing move from metro areas to country supports the buildning business as well in SOME area's. Commercial properrty has been over built everywhere in Colorado and sub-urban development has been over built as well. There will be a slow down in the construction business in both those area's.

SO. depending on what you do, Colorado may be a blessing or a curse.

Another issue with Colorado is cost of living and cost of entry to the housing market. It REAL expensive compared to anywhere in New York State with the exeption Westchester County and a few other suburban area's. My bet is even if you have a really nice place you will find it hard to sell and buy something comparable in Colorado. Those Colorado prices are driven by the California influx. Being in Rochester, you may have ties to Xerox or even Kodak. Kodak does have a very large place close to where I lived. Seems as if they were letting people go and the folks left had to compete with folks from other parts of the country with more seniority. I sold a 5 acre building lot with utilities for enough to buy this farm. No kidding. My 290K place in Colorado might bring 180K out here...maybe. That is the type of difference you will see.

Anyway as usual, grass is greener on the other side of the fence...I moved here and you may want to ditch NYS and move there! From what I have found so far there are a lot of opportunities here in NYS. Way more than I anticipated BEFORE we moved. ....and so I may be a little tight for a while digesting this farm, selling yet another home, and starting a few small business enterprises....but the life style change is already making it all worth while. I certainly would not consider moving back at this point in time. And we could. Still have a place out there. But the adventure along with the opportunities are just way too attractive right now.

Last edited:

Dave S.

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2000
Weimedog,
I'm a mechanical engineer working in industry. Rochester used to have lots of work of this type, (Kodak , Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, GM and many smaller and support co's). All of these bigs have gotten a lot smaller. I'm still working, but the division I'm in is really shaky. So I've been looking around. Things seemed to have tightned up a lot in the past six months. Of course I do the normal surfing of job sites all over the country. Things seem slow all over. Even areas that are normally booming - Atlanta.

Colorado (and the Southwest) has always seemed appealing, but I am aware of the runup in real estate prices. I know that in many parts of the west I would have a much bigger mortgage just to approximate what I have here. You're in what sounds like an ideal situation - headin' east after taking advantage of the boom out west - just stay away from the east coast.

I appreciate your comments. Fortunately, I don't have to do anything immediately, so I have some time to figure out what's next.
I think I'll go riding to help sort it out!
:confused:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
A little dose of reality

While I too am a "new" upstate New Yorker and find the area very appealing, it does have it's downsides. Here's my short list:
1) Hillary... enough said!
2) Lack of public riding land!
3) ORV registration (which I wouldn't mind if we actually had public riding land)!
4) State income tax, one of the highest in the nation!
5) Mandatory vehicle inspection!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
There's two sides to every story:

1) Until NYC becomes it's own state, not much we can do about the Clintonians. Most upstate people I've talked to were very much against Hillary running for senate.

2) There is ONE public area, up in Lewis Co., I'm told. You're the closest--go check it out! And we had how many public places in Illinois? Hmm-- ZERO!
Lots of good local races, though. WYNOA, NETRA, ECEA, etc.

3) I don't mind paying $10 for a silly tag if that's all I need to ride enduros out here.

4) Not like Illinois was know for it's low taxes! I think property taxes are slightly cheaper here.

5) Mandatory vehicle inspection-- $14 per year isn't a big deal, although it's kept Dave off his Harley this summer until he gets a few items fixed. :think

On the bright side, vehicle registration is cheaper than IL, and good for 2 years.

I guess it's all relative!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Of course another upside to this place is...as I found yesterday...some great folks around to enjoy the motorcycle experience with.

And there is another thing. A little off topic but relavent for those who live in places like Colorado. The soil. We rode in saturated conditionsthis week. We COULD ride after a week of wet. If I had this amount of moisture in Colorado, it would take a couple of weeks before riding was possible. Its like Grease out there when things are wet. I was able to ride in the pouring rain last Wenesday and ENJOY it! It was a blast! Enough traction to have lots of fun. A new thing for me. Bennies are adding up...:)

Top Bottom