firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well our local track opened early this year--normally they wouldn't open for practice until after the spring hare scramble, which is at the end of March.  But the weather has been unseasonably warm--as in tolerable if not decent riding conditions since the first of the year--so Saturday it opened for weekend practice.  I had made plans to take a friend to the ORV park Saturday, so I headed out to the track on Sunday. 

One of the coolest things about riding is seeing all of my riding buddies.  I don't necessarily hang out with them socially but running into them at the track always makes my day.  There were a dozen people out there I knew.  It was actually pretty sparse for the Sunday of the first open weekend--I was surprised that there were fewer than 100 people out there.  Well, maybe--I'm not good at estimating such things.

Anyway, I didn't fall down, but I didn't ride all that fast either.  One of my favorite jumps got cut down and is no longer a jump :think: but not too much has really changed.  I did the easy double and thought really hard about a couple others but ultimately chickened out.  There are 4 on my list right now that I think I can work on:

1.)  There is a small triple right out of a sweet bermed corner that I could double into last year, but it got bigger this year.

2.)  There is a "camel hump" type of jump right out of a sharp corner that I am not too sure about--it's a decent sized gap but an easy landing.

3.)  The triple right after the easy double is small and every time I clear that double, I kick myself for hitting the brakes.  I know it sounds overly ambitious but I feel like it's RIGHT THERE every time I come around.  It isn't a very big distance and I wouldn't even have to give it any more throttle--just land the double and hang on!  I can't explain it but I can just FEEL that it's right there.  I pansy out every time though.

4.)  There is a fairly long step-down, not quite as forgiving as the first one I jumped, right after a high speed corner and right before a long sweeper.  It has a weird kicker to it that sends you off pointed at the sky that I don't really understand how to handle yet, but it wouldn't take much throttle to clear.

The funny thing is some of the jumps I don't feel like I am nearly as ready for are smaller than these, but with less forgiving approaches or run-outs.  Then there are some big gnarly ones that I don't feel like attempting yet too.  The 90 foot table will have to wait.

Don't think I'm getting away from my trail geek roots, but the more I do it, the more fun I have at motocross.  I can jump some of the jumps and am really picking up speed in the corners too so I feel 100 percent better.  I can actually make my way around the track and work on speed, instead of just trying to stay upright.  Plus the trails still have snow on them for now.  Also the social aspect makes it a lot of fun--in between laps I can BS with my buddies that I only ever see at the track.

Last edited:

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Nice report FC22.

SarahL99

Dec 18, 2001
I think its great to get out on trails occasionally but I really am addicted to the MX tracks! I love going around and around agian, trying to go just a little faster, bigger smoother each lap. I really do like the social aspect too. THere seem to a lot more girls out there now since I got out a few years ago so I look forward to meeting them. Too bad they are all in powder puff. THere still doesnt seem to be a womens and I dont want to go back racing the 125 begginners anymore. I might hop in the 80 juniors - man, some of those kids screem!

Well, keep at it Sharla, it will come naturally. Just dont push yourself to hard - it always seems like one day it just clicks and you just do it. Just before I got out of it I think I was right where your at. Now, however, I think I have regressed when it comes to the jumps. :(

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Cool report, Sharla. Agreed; Since ya know what obstacles are coming up next, yer more confident to go just a hair smoother/bigger/faster with each lap. The track is making me more comortable with the concept of speed!

However, I also agree that I just don't have the guts to twist the throttle quite enough yet to make those SAME jumps that those tiny little kids are clearing!!! Oooo, that bums me out when ten year olds fly over my head; LOL!!!

Top Bottom