Back from Moab - One Piece - Reflections

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Well - one week of riding some seriously gnarly terrain and the little green bike did VERY well. All my counterparts were on big four strokes - but the KDX held its own. They laughed and jeered on day one - but by the third day, picking up their 300 pound machines was getting old and they were begging to give the 200 a try. Most wee amazed a the power and lugging ability of the KDX.

We did it ALL! There are some really tough trails out in Moab - and we hit most of them. I added a few small scars to the KDX (character) and a few on myself in some glorious get offs - but all in all - then trip was amazing. One fellow rider did manage to crack his case and lose his waterpump which is serious business in this rough country. Luckily Fred at Arrowhead had him running in 1 day (that guy is amazing).

I found the 13/47 combo worked really well. I honestly lugged most steep stuff in 2nd - and reserved 1st for the insane climbs and really technical stuff. A week on non-stop riding aloowed me to become very comfortable with what this bike will do. I found the ability to lugg the little 200 down well below what I we previously doing. While it generates very little power - it does keep you moving and never gave out steam. When critical - a slight blip of the clutch gave just enough steam to keep you moving without bringing up the wheel. On 50 degree climbs - this is crucual.

All our routes are fresh - so if anyone is planning a trip - I can give you some pointers. I ran the stock tank filled to the brim and carried 1/2 gallon in MSR aluminum tanks on the rear. This gave me a very good 120 mile range. The premix in a sea of 4s bikes was a non-issue. I wound up filling in the tank most stops and mixing on the fly. You get decent at this quite quickly.

One of our riders is a professional photographer - so I will have some incredible pics coming. I will post a couple ina week or so when he gets them processed.

This bike is amazing. Over 700 miles of SERIOUS terrain and all I did was tightened the chain half a click, lubed her up and changed the oil filter. Cant beat that.

Sean

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Wow, Sean; sounds like a cool trip! Post a website where those pics can be seen when they're ready.

Best,
Greg

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Sean, you've been hanging out with four stroke riders too long - get back into the 2 stroke corner.
If you only tightened the chain, lubed her & changed the oil filter, ya did something wrong. Personally, I would've changed the air filter & left the four strokers to change their oil filters :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Michelle, the oil filter is an optional item for KDX's sold in Missouri.

Those of you who don't have to ride on trails that look like a quarry can get by without one. :cool:

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Daggon - forget one & and get nailed.

My point being that on such a long trip - the reliability of a maintained KDX is hard to beat. Our final according to a fellow MotoAdevture rider was 732 miles. Of course his wheels were in the air so much - it was probably as much as 732.5.

sn

Top Bottom