Back to dirt after a 12 year break ...

bsumpter

Apr 11, 2007
Hello all...

I've been lurking here for a week or so, and slowly getting dirt bike fever once again. I see much has changed since I was into this last, so I thought I would ask some advice as far as what bikes I should be looking at.

I started on a Honda 50 when I was 4 years old (thank you, Dad!), quickly moved to a couple Yamaha 80's, then had a 1979 dual-purpose Yamaha 175 for a while. Once I hit my late teens, I picked up a very used '86 KDX 200, rebuilt it, and rode the crap out of it until I sold it about 12 years or so ago. Since that time I've been riding street (currently a V-Star 1100). I considered myself an advanced woods rider when I left the sport, but never really considered myself a racer.

1) your physical size:
5' 7", around 200 lbs. Hope to get that down to 180 soon.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderate.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods only.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Several years ... see info above.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Possibly an Enduro, but doubtful.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes. If I can't handle it my father can.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Looking to spend $3000 or so.

10) Do you live in California?
Nope.

The trails I'll be riding will be old strip mining roads with my father, and some single track stuff when I feel the need for something more technical. I have a box trailer, so it won't be ran on the highway.

Thanks!

Last edited:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
bsumpter said:
Hello all...

I've been lurking here for a week or so, and slowly getting dirt bike fever once again. I see much has changed since I was into this last, so I thought I would ask some advice as far as what bikes I should be looking at.

I started on a Honda 50 when I was 4 years old (thank you, Dad!), quickly moved to a couple Yamaha 80's, then had a 1979 dual-purpose Yamaha 175 for a while. Once I hit my late teens, I picked up a very used '86 KDX 200, rebuilt it, and rode the crap out of it until I sold it about 12 years or so ago. Since that time I've been riding street (currently a V-Star 1100). I considered myself an advanced woods rider when I left the sport, but never really considered myself a racer.

1) your physical size:
5' 7", around 200 lbs. Hope to get that down to 180 soon.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderate.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods only.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Several years ... see info above.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Possibly an Enduro, but doubtful.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes. If I can't handle it my father can.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Looking to spend $3000 or so.

10) Do you live in California?
Nope.

The trails I'll be riding will be old strip mining roads with my father, and some single track stuff when I feel the need for something more technical. I have a box trailer, so it won't be ran on the highway.

Thanks!

For the money, it is still very hard to beat a KDX200 or 220 (one of the later years) for trail & play riding. If you want to go upscale, KTM200 or KTM300 2strokes are awesome.

If you plan on hitting a MX track, then 125 or 250 2stroke of any of the Japanese factories or KTM or a 250R or 250X would probably be good to start back on.

Top Bottom